15" vs 17" MBP Portability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fenman, Dec 17, 2009.

1. fenman macrumors member

Hi All,

I am looking to move to MAC after losing hope on Windows improving anytime soon, and need a little advice to help me decide on what to get.

I am not a heavy user as I have a work laptop as well on which purchasing decisions are unfortunately made by the IT guys. On my personal machine, I have all my media, some light-ish office files and comms such as email (on Tbird), skype, the usual.

The problem is that I like nice screens with lots of pixels. My current laptop is one of the last-off-the-line Thinkpad T60p 15" with 1600x1200 matte IPS panel. Its 3 years old and I hold on to it purely because of the screen.

I travel a fair bit, and take a lot of pictures with my 450D so having high res really helps. Purely for this reason I am inclined to go for the MBP 17. However, I am concerned about portability. Does anyone use the 17 inch MBP on the move regularly, or move it around much, even if only in a car-plane-car-hotel scenario? I dont plan to have it on me all day. Also, is there a significant real life battery time difference between 15 and 17?

The main question however is this: 77% more screen vs more heft in real-life use. Any comments greatly appreciated.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

17" MBP works fine for me. I move mine almost every day.

Most PC 15" laptops are the same size and same weight as MBP 17" anyway.

I've used it in the car and airplane both in el cheepo and business class.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

My 17" goes everywhere with me. I travel the world regularly and take it on shoots all the time I have no problem flying with it, but I don't usually get stuck in the short coach seats and I'm 6' 2", so that's part of the reason why it's more portable for me.

4. fenman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for confirming what I already suspected - been to the store to look at the MBPs and the 15" screen just does not do it for me at all - if Apple could bump it to 1680x1050 it would be much better. Also, subjectively the colours on the 17 are slightly more accurate, could have been the settings on the particular macbooks though.

Next question - what do you use as a carrier bag for MBP17"?

/I will not ask the "should I wait for arrandale" question/

5. Nuck81 macrumors regular

This is not the exact bag I have, or even the same brand but it's a similar price and set up to the satchel I've had for about a hundred years now, even before I got my MBP.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/130300/Wenger-Mythos-17-Casual-Computer-Case/

I am a music teacher and performing arts judge on the weekend and always have it jam packed with stuff. It never leaves my side.