15" vs 17" please help me decide!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aforty, Feb 26, 2008.

1. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

So I'm ready to pull the trigger on the new MacBook Pro. But 17" or 15" is the question now.

Price is not an issue, only thing for me is weight and value of the slightly bigger screen. It'll be used mostly for web surfing, coding, things of that nature, maybe some gaming.

I could def use the higher resolution but at what cost (the weight). Is it worth it you guys think? Just looking for some opinions.

2. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Please help me with some opinions. I'm itching to place my order! :D

3. weichengwang macrumors newbie

4. jonnos macrumors regular

im a designer and will do some gaming.. im sticking with the 15" and save the extra cash and purchase myself a 24"+ once i get enough money again :D

5. cmaier macrumors G3

i have the 17" and i love it. at maximum resolution, sometimes the text seems almost too small - with the 15" it would be way too small for me (and I insist on the highest possible resolution so i can have multiple windows open each displaying a full page in a way that i can actually work with them)

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The new 17" should be REALLY nice. The display on my MacBook Air is beyond belief!

7. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

I hear that, I love high res but isn't the laptop itself too big for you? Or does it start to feel heavy on the lap? Those are my only real concerns.

It's +1lb for marginally higher res with a bigger screen.

Again, money is no issue it's just the weight/size that worries me.

8. cmaier macrumors G3

This is my first mac; i'm coming from an old compaq 15", and the mbp 17" feels much lighter than that. It's also very thin. I have a sholder bag and carry it around without any problem. I guess I wouldn't enjoy using it on an airplane tray, but I've taken it from home to work every day since november without ever thinking about the weight.

After all, if weight/size is the biggest concern, go MBA. Clearly the tradeoff is a personal decision. To me, the 17" is more than worth it. Of course I haven't seen the LED version of the screen, but the non-LED screen mine has already makes working with illustrator, office, etc. a pleasure.

9. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I never understood why someone would buy a 17 inch laptop. surely the point of a laptop is to be mobile, now if you need a large screen, wouldn't it make more sense to get a normal display?

10. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I have a 17" PowerBook. I do quite a bit if photo editing, watch movies, the usual, surf the web, etc.

It is a big laptop. It's really long. It's a bit hefty too, at just under 7lb.

It doesn't matter to me though, I still bring this thing everywhere with me. It's like having an iMac with you wherever you go. I would recommend the 17" model if money is of no concern.

11. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Just a few reasons: For a graphics professional on the road, or for a desktop replacement with occassional travel, or for a large dude not minding the 6.5 lbs of a 17" mbp that weighs the same as some other companies' high-end 15", etc. The footprint of the 17" is basically an inch longer than the 15" in either direction, so if you don't travel often, but still need occassional portability, it is pretty sweet.

12. cmaier macrumors G3

That same argument applies to 15.4", 13", and everything except palmtops.

The 17" is certainly mobile. It is lighter and thinner than 15.4" windows laptops were a couple of years ago.

Personally, I use it as a "portable desktop." I can put the thing on my lap and work comfortably wherever I am. I do real work sitting on my sofa, and sitting at my desk at work or at desks in out-of-state offices of my firm. I'm not going to buy a smaller laptop and lug a monitor back and forth.

In my old career (AMD microprocessor designer) I had used a desktop computer with twin 21" monitors; I'm just biologically programmed at this point to getting the most productivity by keeping tons of windows open side-by-side, each zoomed out enough so I can see a whole page or design at once. When I first started working at my new career I was using the work-issued 15.4" dell. It was driving me nuts having to constantly rearrange windows and zoom in and out to do my work. I had an external monitor at work, but when I took the laptop home I couldn't work from the couch without going nuts.

13. PDE macrumors 68020

I think it's only about portability. I had a 17" and felt it was the nices laptop I've used (great power, great audio, relatively cool, beautiful LG screen etc), BUT it was too damn big for everyday running around. A little heavier and a little larger adds up and with the power adapter etc it really is more luggable than portable. If you drive a lot, you'll be fine but if you live a city and use public transportation and need to carry all the time, it's just too much IMO. I'd recommend the 15" as a perfect balance and then just add a nice 22" monitor for your desk.

14. ctishue macrumors member

I don't know about the this revisions of Macbook Pros, but in the last revision, the 8600M GT was clocked lower in the 15" than it was in the 17". This would only matter if you want to play games though I suppose.

15. nylock10 macrumors regular

I'd recommend getting the 17" model. If you can afford it, why not.

The 17" one has 512MB of VRAM which may come in handy someday, and will make the computer just a little more "future-proof".

16. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Some thoughts:
    Will you travel with it? 15" can be used when flying Coach. Most people consider a 17" difficult, if not impossible to use in air travel.

15" is more portable in general. Mine fits neatly in my business satchel, as the 15" MBP is about the size of 8.5x11" paper. Don't think the 17" would travel as easily for me.

For the price of a 17" MBP you can buy a 15" MBP and a 20" LCD, for more dual monitor goodness on the desk.

That said, if you want a desktop replacement and air travel is not a concern, the 17" is a superb choice. And if I were buying the 17", I spend a bit more and get the highest resolution screen. Then you have the maximum screen for work.

17. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Ok now I'm really torn!

The 17" comes with an option for 1920x1200 display (with LED)! I love me some high res!

No I won't be doing any traveling, it will simply be in my pad all day every day and sit on my lap for extended periods (I don't have room for a desk). Because of these extended periods I'm worried about weight...

Agh this is even tougher now! Anyone? :eek: :D

18. PDE macrumors 68020

Seriously, if you're not going t be traveling and it will be on your desk, go for the 17". It's a great computer and the screen (the LED one at least) will be beautiful. It's even more comfortable on one's lap than a smaller one because it's like a tray that doesn't slip off easily and there's no need to keep your knees together!

So go for the 17" and be happy! You will be and it's perfectly portable for the occasional trip too, just not for everyday lugging by foot.

19. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

You've convinced me! :D

17" it is with resolution upgrade!

Thank you everyone!!

20. PDE macrumors 68020

Great. You won't regret it! My previous comments really only apply if you're moving it around a lot. It was the best laptop I've used (and I've used quite a few), just couldn't carry it with me the way I need to.

Enjoy! I'm sure you'll be happy with it! But do get the LED version....

21. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

If you're on the road a lot get a good backpack. 3 years ago I ordered one from axio with my powerbook 17" and I never regretted this. In fact people even make remarks about how nice it is. (when they have not seen my powerbook ;))

[​IMG]