15'' vs. 17'' vs. 17'' HD - Brightness and Color

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBunny, Jun 19, 2007.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Are the new "LED" 15 inch Screens brighter than the 17 inch Cold Cathode Screens?

I really wanted to get a 15'' MBP - It seems like the perfect performance / size for me, however would like to fully customize it, and do not want to (1) wait the 4-6 weeks for the faster HDD, and (2) do not want to take the chance of getting a messed up / Yellow screen.

So Here comes the 17 inch into play. However I am concerned with the difference in brightness between the 2 sizes? Is the LED really much much brigher than the 17 inch? Is the 17 inch HD worth it anyway because of the screen realestate?

Thanks

2. milky23 macrumors regular

Here is my brief analysis after visiting an Apple store and comparing the 15" SR MBP (LED backlight) side by side with a 17" SR MBP (CCFL backlight). The 15" was a little bit brighter than the 17", but in my mind, the 17" is a far better screen. The difference in brightness (which was negligible to my eyes) was far outweighed by the poor viewing angle of the 15".

Seeing them both in person, I instantly fell in love with the 17", and i ended up buying one yesterday.

If you have bad eyesight though, I would consider waiting for Leopard's resolution independence. Anyway, my two cents.

3. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

If you had to pick 1 - Would you say the 256MB 8600GT handles the 1900x1200

Perfect
    Great
    Good
    Average
    Poor

This is my main concern

4. kentfrancisco macrumors member

kentfrancisco

I've had the 17" Hi-Res for about a day right now and I would give it a "Perfect" for the display and just about everything else.

Side by side, the 15" LED may be a *TAD* brighter than the HD screen, but the HD has plenty of brightness to spare. I would say that full brightness verges on uncomfortable, even.

I think if you're going to get a 17" MBP right now, it makes no sense to not spend the $100 extra and get the upgrade to HD. It's the difference between $2799 and $2899, so it can't honestly be a deal breaker for anyone in terms of cost.

5. IBrown macrumors newbie

17" - Bright enough.

I went for the 17" high-res display. I haven't seen the 15" LED display, but the 17" is more than bright enough.

This screen is great!:) :)