15" with gpu makes a bunch of noise while in bootcamp?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GuruSquare, Aug 26, 2015.

1. GuruSquare macrumors newbie

GuruSquare

Hey!

So i got my new macbook pro 15" with the amd gpu.
    When in bootcamp and downloading and turning the screen to the lowest resolution.
    The gpu gets to 72 c• while doing nothing really only downloading and what i think is that my fans are running at like 100% ???

WHY?
    Help me :D

2. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Similar to my 2012 MacBook. OS X works harmoniously with regulating the fans, Windows not so much.

3. kokhoong0624 macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

In windows it always run the discrete GPU and it exhaust more power and heat.
    In Mac if you do not so intensive task, it will use the integrated GPU in the processor which exhaust less power and generate less heat and it will switch to the discrete GPU when needed.

Windows can't use the dedicated GPU in the processor (Intel HD XXXX) and will not detect it. This has been discussed for years and no one has really found a good fix.
    And that also explains why your MBP dies faster in windows compared to OS X

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

There's a number of reasons for it :
    1) Boot Camp Windows will always use the discrete AMD (or NVidia) GPU. Graphics switching is disabled.
    2) The heatpipe/cooling system is shared between the CPU and the always on GPU, so it has to work harder.
    3) OS X is more power optimised than Windows on Apple Hardware.
    4) Apple prioritise acoustics over cooling, then quickly ramp the fans up when required.

Screen resolution will make negligible difference to the temperatures.