$150 mac pro rebate at Amazon

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by reidspice, Jan 30, 2008.

1. reidspice macrumors newbie

i finally broke down and bought an 8 core 2.8 with all the stock stuff from amazon monday night. i chose amazon because:

1 i trust them
    2 no tax in CA (saves me about $240)
    3 free shipping
    4 $150 rebate!
    5 the base price is oddly about $30 cheaper than apple store
    6 i didn't need to customize the machine

so all in all i think that leads to fairly significant savings. i'll get a 2nd lcd, 4 gb ram (owc) and a 1 tb sata drive to add to it eventually but i'm not in a hurry on those yet. i don't think you can really customize the machine at amazon so this may not work for many of you out there.

amazon shows a ship date of mid-february but i will be pretty surprised if it takes this long. they often show the "worst case scenario" ship date in my experience so hopefully it'll still go out this week.

anyway, i wanted to pass that along if anyone wants to save some dough. they just extended the rebate offer until feb 18. here is the link to the rebate info:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MA970LL...ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1201722321&sr=8-1

has anyone else ordered one from amazon? are they seeing the same long projected shipping time that i am?

thanks

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Beware of the "Use tax" people that'll come harping.

Also, Amazon and many other e-tailers usually sell lower than MSRP, hence the 30 dollars cheaper.

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Tempting... but in the 8800 crowd, so yawn... still waiting..

4. je1ani macrumors 6502

5. newtech macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs, the graphics card Nazi....."No 8800GT for you."

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Man, that makes the difference between the 4 and 8 core versions that much less. So tempting...

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

nice, the savings from tax and the rebate is actually more than the price of an 8800 upgrade kit.

So I'm able to get the MP now, use it now, get the 8800 when it comes out, and save a few bucks.

8. JesterDev macrumors newbie

That is really tempting, but I want my 8800GT. Perhaps just perhaps they may have that option somewhere else on the site...

9. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

I hope you bought on the spot cause I didn't find anything on amazon.ca ... but did find the price going back up on amazon.com

Attached Files:

10. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Here is the way that I am looking at it since I also want the 8800GT card. I can purchase the base MP from Amazon and save $181.93 in sales tax (FL Education Store) and get the $150 rebate. That adds up to be $331.93.

In the education store, looking at the price differences between the cards, you can see that Apple is charging $135 for the 2600XT card and $315 for the 8800GT card. So, yes, I would be saving $16.93 to purchase through Amazon.

There are a few questions though:

1. Will Apple be selling the retail version of the 8800GT at the same $315 price that they charge for the OEM version? (probably not - maybe $350)
    2. Is there a market to sell the OEM 2600XT card once the retail 8800GT is available and how much would you get for it? (I am guessing about $70)

To me, this would seem like a lot of extra work for a small amount of savings (at least for the educational store purchaser).

So I am sticking with getting it through Apple and having it covered under my AppleCare.

Hickman

11. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

That is one way to rationalize it, but perhaps the video card as an add on option will decrease in price over time and you can nab it or something better down the road. With the Tax savings and rebate it is cheaper than edu or most corporate discounts when buying from apple...can I live with the 2600 in the short term???:confused:

12. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Rebate totally covers the video card upgrade

Since the computer WITH the 8800GT will cost you $200 more than the standard one, and buying the card alone is $350, there is only a $150 difference in your final cost, and the rebate will exactly cover that. The benefits are that you have your new MacPro today, you will have a spare video card eventually, and you will save whatever sales tax you might incur by buying direct from Apple BTO in order to get it earlier than the resellers will have it in stock. A win-win situation for you.

However, when I looked it didn't appear they had them in stock???

-howard

13. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I'd be getting it with an EDU discount. So the tax would cover that difference and the savings wouldn't be as substantial. But yes, I'd get it now (once they're in stock) which is good. I'm going to wait and see if Amazon gets a shipment of them soon.

14. aibo macrumors 6502

I got the EDU discount from Apple too, otherwise I'd jump on this. I also figure that by BTO configuring the 8800 GT, I'll get it sooner than those who order it seperately. Wasn't the Apple Store quoting 5-7 weeks for ordering the 8800 GT alone?

15. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Yeah, but the computer comes now. That's the part I need, the 8800GT is just the icing on the cake.

Amazon has 'em in stock now.

16. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Sweet! My MP will be here tomorrow. Thanks Amazon Prime for $3.99 overnight shipping ;)

Now looking for RAM and hard drives.

17. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

^^ DITTO ^^

Now I know what I am going to be doing this weekend! :)

18. Canoehead2 macrumors newbie

Arghh - I bought if from Amazon on the 17th, and so am no eligible for the rebate. I prefer Amazon since was a Prime Member I get shipping free and no tax (vs 6.5% = $182) from Apple.

19. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

He's giving me one.

I just had to state my order clearly, take one step to the left, pay for it, and then wait until f*cking March 3rd!! :eek:

(I ordered it before MacWorld, so that gives you an idea what the demand for these things is)

20. cowm007 macrumors regular