$1500 to Spend: Best Option

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WildGooseMD, Aug 27, 2011.

1. WildGooseMD macrumors newbie

I am currently running the original unibody MB from 2008 with 2.0 Ghz, 4GB and 250 GB HD. I have just noticed when working with my 80 GB Aperture library things have become a little sluggish, but not unworkable. The bottom line is that I have about a $1500 budget and am looking to add something new to my setup, so I need the MR community to help me out, I am really torn. Here are the options:

1. Mac Mini-with i7 upgrade and 8GB Ram
    2. iPad 2-64 GB WiFi
    3. 21" iMac-with all options but SSD
    4. Middle of the road 27" iMac (stretching the budget a bit...is it worth it since I already have a 24" LED Cinema Display that I could run dual with the 21" iMac?)

The mini is attractive because I already have the mouse, keyboard and display. iPad is attractive because it's just awesome and I need something for around the house, but with the prospect of HiRes iPad 3 in early 2012 makes me a little nervous. And I am totally split between the 2 possible iMacs....Please Help!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

What is your primary goal? It sounds like it would a replacement for your MBP which is getting slow.

I'd say the iPad is more of a want in your situation than a need. So then you need to figure out which Mac is the best option for you. You'd probably do well with the Mini and the i7 with 8GB RAM.

3. WildGooseMD thread starter macrumors newbie

That is my initial leaning also. Is there much of a performance difference between the Mini and the loaded 21" iMac? The specs seem similar.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If the specs are similar, then the performance should also be similar. Since you already have a display, keyboard and mouse, you'll save money on the Mini over the iMac.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

This ^ its the best idea for you and you would still have some money left for applecare