Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Last month Apple started sending out emails to it's users that took part in the Messages Beta program stating that it would end on December 14th. It worked without any problem yesterday even though I didn't expect it to. This morning it finally stopped working and prompted me with a message to reinstall iChat. Now just to get the Message.app file from someone with Mountain Lion and see how putting it on my computer with Lion works!

EDIT: Lololol, so in my dock it still says "Messages," even after a restart. I thought they might have kept that name instead of iChat for some reason, but in my applications folder it's under iChat.
EDIT: Aww, after opening it changed the name back to normal.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 12.17.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 12.17.05 PM.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 12.39.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 12.39.52 PM.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,566
Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Now just to get the Message.app file from someone with Mountain Lion and see how putting it on my computer with Lion works!

I just tried it on my 10.6.8 system and interestingly I get a "you need 10.7.3" error, not "you need 10.8". Curious...

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Same here. Sucks. :(

Right?! I use it all the time and it worked as good as a final product.

I just tried it on my 10.6.8 system and interestingly I get a "you need 10.7.3" error, not "you need 10.8". Curious...

Oh heyy! Well this gets me happy! >:D Too bad I don't really know anyone with Mountain Lion. In the 10.7 DMG you can find the application files and install the individually. I tried finding the Messages app in the 10.8 DMG but wasn't successful.

What happens if you change the system clock to yesterday's date?

What if Messages.app uses a clock from a website?

Yeah, it's probably linked to a clock on Apple's, especially because it already contacts the iMessage server.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What if Messages.app uses a clock from a website?

It might, but Apple might have preprogrammed the kill date into it. If it is launched without an internet connection, as it may be sometimes, it would use the system clock. Apple may have it only check the system clock. The date may not even be hard coded into the binary, but just in a property list within the app. Or it the app could identify itself at Lion Messages to Apple's iMessage Jabber server and that would respond with the kill message. In that case we'd just need to alter the identification sent to Apple. It may take a while, but someone may find out how to reactive Lion's Messages.

Jimbode

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
I tried the app from ML. Just crashes. Should I remove iChat first?

I kept pasting this into the crash report comments then hitting re-open: "How am I supposed to install Messages on my 2008 MacBook that doesn't support Mountain Lion?"

Last edited:

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I tried the app from ML. Just crashes. Should I remove iChat first?

I kept pasting this into the crash report comments then hitting re-open: "How am I supposed to install Messages on my 2008 MacBook that doesn't support Mountain Lion?"

You tried opening the 10.8 Messages on 10.7? Yeah, it's worth a shot. Just save it elsewhere in case things go wrong.

Hahaha, it took me a bit to understand the second part. Quite humorous.

Smoothedit

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
Hi all!

Has anyone found a workaround to use Messages on 10.7? My MBP is too old to upgrade to ML :(

Nemesis19

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
hello! I tried to run ML messages on Lion 10.7.5, no success...

I edited also the info.plist file to substitute all the calls to ML builds but it's not working...of course there is some framework that ML uses and are not in Lion...

damn Apple programmers are very cool! :D

btw for your interest, with Fluid app you can at least run Reminders and Notes by creating web apps pointing to the iCloud web app from icloud.com

Jimbode

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
Tempted to convert my 2008 White MacBook into a Windows 8 machine. At least then I'll have a supported OS on it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.