Messages beta (for 10.7 Lion) stops working on December 15th

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iParis, Dec 15, 2012.

1. iParis, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Last month Apple started sending out emails to it's users that took part in the Messages Beta program stating that it would end on December 14th. It worked without any problem yesterday even though I didn't expect it to. This morning it finally stopped working and prompted me with a message to reinstall iChat. Now just to get the Message.app file from someone with Mountain Lion and see how putting it on my computer with Lion works!

EDIT: Lololol, so in my dock it still says "Messages," even after a restart. I thought they might have kept that name instead of iChat for some reason, but in my applications folder it's under iChat.
    EDIT: Aww, after opening it changed the name back to normal.

Attached Files:

2. hellothere231 macrumors regular

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just tried it on my 10.6.8 system and interestingly I get a "you need 10.7.3" error, not "you need 10.8". Curious...

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What happens if you change the system clock to yesterday's date?

5. hellothere231 macrumors regular

What if Messages.app uses a clock from a website?

6. iParis, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Right?! I use it all the time and it worked as good as a final product.

Oh heyy! Well this gets me happy! >:D Too bad I don't really know anyone with Mountain Lion. In the 10.7 DMG you can find the application files and install the individually. I tried finding the Messages app in the 10.8 DMG but wasn't successful.

Yeah, it's probably linked to a clock on Apple's, especially because it already contacts the iMessage server.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It might, but Apple might have preprogrammed the kill date into it. If it is launched without an internet connection, as it may be sometimes, it would use the system clock. Apple may have it only check the system clock. The date may not even be hard coded into the binary, but just in a property list within the app. Or it the app could identify itself at Lion Messages to Apple's iMessage Jabber server and that would respond with the kill message. In that case we'd just need to alter the identification sent to Apple. It may take a while, but someone may find out how to reactive Lion's Messages.

8. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

Bummer! Hope someone finds a workaround! Maybe just the app from ML into Lion...

9. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

That's what I'm hoping for!

10. Jimbode, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

Jimbode macrumors newbie

I tried the app from ML. Just crashes. Should I remove iChat first?

I kept pasting this into the crash report comments then hitting re-open: "How am I supposed to install Messages on my 2008 MacBook that doesn't support Mountain Lion?"

11. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

You tried opening the 10.8 Messages on 10.7? Yeah, it's worth a shot. Just save it elsewhere in case things go wrong.

Hahaha, it took me a bit to understand the second part. Quite humorous.

12. Smoothedit macrumors newbie

Hi all!

Has anyone found a workaround to use Messages on 10.7? My MBP is too old to upgrade to ML :(

13. Nemesis19 macrumors member

Nemesis19

hello! I tried to run ML messages on Lion 10.7.5, no success...

I edited also the info.plist file to substitute all the calls to ML builds but it's not working...of course there is some framework that ML uses and are not in Lion...

damn Apple programmers are very cool! :D

btw for your interest, with Fluid app you can at least run Reminders and Notes by creating web apps pointing to the iCloud web app from icloud.com

14. Jimbode macrumors newbie

Tempted to convert my 2008 White MacBook into a Windows 8 machine. At least then I'll have a supported OS on it!