Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I've had mine since launch, however recently the power button just simply will not work. Very, very, VERY randomly it will work, however the vast majority of the time it will not. I've tried cleaning it, but it really didn't help that much.

Has anyone found any way of fixing this..?

i would rather not go and deal with Apple/Verizon.. Speaking of which, I bought it from my local Verizon store, so it that where I go to get a return/replacement?

kvaughan

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2011
It's a known issue. Take it to the Apple store and they will give you a replacement. I just did this yesterday.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I know it's a known issue. I just want to know if anyone has found any sort of way of fixing it..

if I do want to get a replacement, wouldn't I go to the Verizon store I bought it from?

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
I have a similar issue with my iPhone 5. It works randomly. Now I have a different situation.

I bought it unlocked from Apple store around January by paying $700 and I am a T-mo customer.

The model that I have A1428 when it was sold doesn't have AWS 3G radio enabled. The latest version has this AWS radio for WCDMA. If I go to the store, will Apple replace my unlocked version with that of older A1428 or the newer A1428 model? I am not sure if they keep stock of the older model just for these kind of issues.

I really want the newer one as the older one has no AWS radio for 3G+ (Non LTE) and T-mo network sucks without this band as it switches to EDGE network.

Any ideas how Apple stocks their iPhone?

Thanks in advance!

kvaughan

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2011
I know it's a known issue. I just want to know if anyone has found any sort of way of fixing it..

if I do want to get a replacement, wouldn't I go to the Verizon store I bought it from?

Apple store does warranty replacements

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I wouldn't advice you trying to fix it your self.
Bring it to Apple, they are the manufacturer of the device.
I wouldn't go to the carrier/Verizon for warranty service.

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Same issue here. I've got it booked in for the Genius bar on the weekend for some swappage. It annoys the hell out of me!

Can you update the thread after your appointment with the Genius?

I am curious about it too. I would just walk in.

Thanks!

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Verizon doesn't replace any Apple products. They will refer you to Apple (manufacturer's warranty). Make an appointment at your local Apple store if you have one.

So even though I bought my iPhone 5 at launch at my Verizon store I have to get a replacement at a Apple Store? Is this right?

SCIONTX

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2012
So even though I bought my iPhone 5 at launch at my Verizon store I have to get a replacement at a Apple Store? Is this right?

Correct. Or if you don't have a local Apple store you'll need to call 800-My-iPhone and setup a repair via mail.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Yes. No matter where you bought it its still an Apple product and covered by their AppleCare 1 year warranty.

My only option I think is to mail my phone in... How long does it take and is this sleep wake button issue a big thing for me to get a refurb for free?

SCIONTX

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2012
My only option I think is to mail my phone in... How long does it take and is this sleep wake button issue a big thing for me to get a refurb for free?

You have two options.

You can take it to a UPS store and they will pack and mail it to Apple. Then you await your replacement. You'll be without a phone for about 5 business days.

If you can't be without the phone, they offer Express Replacement Service. They will authorize your credit/debit card for the retail amount of the phone (several hundred dollars). They will send you the replacement phone and then you have 10 days to return your phone. If you don't return it, the credit/debit card authorization will turn into an actual charge. Return it, and the authorization hold is removed.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
You have two options.

You can take it to a UPS store and they will pack and mail it to Apple. Then you await your replacement. You'll be without a phone for about 5 business days.

If you can't be without the phone, they offer Express Replacement Service. They will authorize your credit/debit card for the retail amount of the phone (several hundred dollars). They will send you the replacement phone and then you have 10 days to return your phone. If you don't return it, the credit/debit card authorization will turn into an actual charge. Return it, and the authorization hold is removed.

Will I be able to get a refurb for free though ? Is this lock button thing a big issue?

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
It will be free of charge.
Their service shipped from you to them and back is shipped with overnight express so it shouldn't take long.

Are you sure? Couldn't they say that I misused my sleep wake button and charge me? (Even though I didn't)

Other questions: will I receive the same color iPhone 5? Should I remove SIM card and wipe the phone before sending?

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Are you sure? Couldn't they say that I misused my sleep wake button and charge me? (Even though I didn't)

Other questions: will I receive the same color iPhone 5? Should I remove SIM card and wipe the phone before sending?

Its a known issue, I have had mine replaced for the same issue with no problems. My next question is does it show damage the reason you are seeming hesitant to send it?

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Its a known issue, I have had mine replaced for the same issue with no problems. My next question is does it show damage the reason you are seeming hesitant to send it?

There's no damage at all, I just hate how companies like Apple will find any reason to say its the consumers fault.

Can you answer my other questions? Also how long will the entire process take? And lastly, how will Apple know that my iPhone was originally from Verizon? Or does that not matter..?

Last edited:

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
There's no damage at all, I just hate how companies like Apple will find any reason to say its the consumers fault.

Can you answer my other questions? Also how long will the entire process take? And lastly, how will Apple know that my iPhone was originally from Verizon? Or does that not matter..?

I'm not sure how long with mailing the device because there is and Apple store in my city. I've had my device replaced 3 times in the 6 yrs I've been carrying an iPhone and its always been hassle free.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

I think you are panicking for no reason.
1. Like any company, your product, by law, comes with a set time of limited warranty
2. This limited warranty does not cover misuse
3. As per your issue, if the button does not work - I don't see how it could possibly be misuse unless you drop it on the button and it's broken or severely damaged
4. Since it is a common issue - it's easy for them to believe you
5. Apple is apple. Not sure why you have such animosity against them but I have almost always had very good - I've gotten free screen replacements (due to a single dead pixel which goes against warranty), free headphones, free phone swaps (for same model due to brightness problem), etc.
6. Instead of asking here - what do you lose in calling up Apple and asking them yourself?
7. Apple could care less if your phone is from verizon or ATT or any other moe joe. The hardware is their's, the warranty is their's…

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I think you are panicking for no reason.
1. Like any company, your product, by law, comes with a set time of limited warranty
2. This limited warranty does not cover misuse
3. As per your issue, if the button does not work - I don't see how it could possibly be misuse unless you drop it on the button and it's broken or severely damaged
4. Since it is a common issue - it's easy for them to believe you
5. Apple is apple. Not sure why you have such animosity against them but I have almost always had very good - I've gotten free screen replacements (due to a single dead pixel which goes against warranty), free headphones, free phone swaps (for same model due to brightness problem), etc.
6. Instead of asking here - what do you lose in calling up Apple and asking them yourself?
7. Apple could care less if your phone is from verizon or ATT or any other moe joe. The hardware is their's, the warranty is their's…

Well, do you think mailing my iPhone 5 in will be okay then?
I'm just concerned. /: I just cherish my iPhone a lot, I dunno.

What I meant by.. if they care if its from Verizon or not, I mean, will my new iPhone they give me will have the same carrier and number that I had before as long as I put the SIM card in? Is there anything I need to know before mailing my phone in?

I hate calling companies. It takes soooo longggg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.