Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

creativecloud.jpg
Adobe has decided to focus its resources on Creative Cloud and will not continue development on its Creative Suite software, reports The Next Web. While Creative Suite 6 will continue to be supported in regards to bug fixes, there will be no further updates and no Creative Suite 7.

Instead, the company has today announced several Creative Cloud apps at its Adobe MAX conference, including Photoshop CC, InDesign CC, Illustrator CC, Dreamweaver CC, and Premiere Pro CC.

Each of the apps has seen notable upgrades, as detailed by The Next Web. For example, Photoshop CC offers new features like Camera Shake reduction and Behance integration, which can be seen in the Adobe promo video below.

Adobe's Creative Cloud applications will launch this June. The company plans to offer current users of CS 3 and beyond a year of Creative Cloud at a discounted price.
For creatives that rely on the company's upgrade paths, some will be pleased to find that anyone with a CS 3 or later serial number will get their first Creative Cloud year for $29.99 per month. For everyone else, the complete version of Creative Cloud will set you back $49.99 per month, or you can purchase a single app license subscription for $19.99 per month.

For teams, the same applies, but you'll pay $69.99 per month per user or $39.99 if you've purchased CS 3 or later -- added perks include significantly more cloud storage. For students, CC will set you back $19.99 per month for the complete version, and there is also now a "Teams for Education" offering at $39.99 per month per user.
With a standard Creative Cloud subscription, users can access the full library of Adobe apps, making it an attractive choice for subscribers that plan to access multiple Adobe products.

According to Scott Morris (via TechCrunch), head of Adobe's Creative Cloud and Creative Suite teams, the shift will allow Adobe's engineers the "ability to focus," providing quicker updates and more innovative features in the future.

Article Link: Adobe Announces New Creative Cloud Apps, Abandons Creative Suite

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I guess no more upgrades for me, I'm not going to the subscription model

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
This is horrible. A big mistake.

If they keep this business model, a new company will come about and destroy Adobe.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I do hope there's an uproar over this.

Agreed, but so far there's really not too many alternatives around either. Uproars work when the company is afraid it will lose customers

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
This is the path all software is following. Office is already on its way. Expect most other apps to become subscription based. Best way to stop piracy. It's in every company's interest.

Bahamut Eos

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Not looking forward to having to rent my software forever. We are still using CS3 on most computers, and 5 on the rest, and getting by just fine. What incentive will adobe have to continue to update their products if they make the same amount per month if the software is never updated again or not? This is a crap proposition for a lot of consumers, although I could see it being an attractive option for some freelancers. But Cloud only. I don't like it.

houstonwkv

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Great White North
... wow

I guess I will be clinging to my copy of cs6.

I have two questions

1) (having never used the online apps) how do they work? do you have too download anything or is it all simply login and use on any computer?

2) Didn't they just announce a beta for a new lightroom? I guess that will be there last one?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I imagine there will be but it won't do anything to change it.

People will just complain about it on internet forums rather than contacting Adobe or doing anything to actually change anything. Happens with most everything these days.

Complaining on the internet. The least you can do to change things short of doing nothing at all.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Sounds great, I love paying $20+/month for the rest of time instead of purchasing a license once to use indefinitely.

/sarcasm

But seriously, I'm assuming this is just for Creative Suite and not for individual applications. For people who actually need the full CS, this may not be a horrible option. For people like me who use only one or two applications (Acrobat, mostly), I hope the existing option remains available.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
So for someone like me who upgraded his Creative Suite Design Standard (because I don't need the other programms) every 2-3 years it is now almost three times more expensive. :mad:

And if I stop paying I can't open my files anymore.
I'll stay with CS6 for quite a while that's for sure.

I do hope not too many people buy this so that Adobe has to deliver a different solution.

Anyone still using QuarkXPress? Might be worth a try if all else fails ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.