15GB space left - Help me decide...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBrody, Jul 28, 2013.

  1. iBrody macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2008
    #1
    I currently have an early 2011 MBP with Hi-res screen, 8gb ram, 512gb Tosh/Apple SSD (pulled unit purchased separately to replace stock 750gb HDD).

    I have 15gb space left on the SSD, and I don't want to buy an external HDD for iTunes or media, just because it's a pita tbh. I am too used to the quick launch times of an SSD to downgrade to an HDD and whilst I use iTunes Match for the 300gb of iTunes media, I like to keep the files on my computer.

    So, do I wait until Sept/Oct and buy a Haswell 13" MBPr with 768gb SSD, then sell my current set up (either with the Tosh/Apple SSD or with the stock HDD and sell the other separately).

    Or do I buy a Crucial M500 960gb SSD now for £450, use it in my current MBP until next May/June when my Applecare runs out, then sell my MBP (with any of the 3 mentioned hard drives installed) for a 13" retina once the newest revision is released around summer 2014?

    If the latter is going to be the most cost saving for me, another question is, which will get me the best return next year...

    Sell the MBP with the Tosh/Apple 512gb SSD installed, sell the MBP with the Crucial 960GB SSD installed, or sell the MBP with the stock 750gb 5400rpm HDD installed? I will be looking to sell the other 2 hard drives separately (and probably all via eBay).

    I guess that I could go with the option to buy the 960gb M500 SSD now and use my current MBP as long as possible, but I have been wanting to get something lighter and more portable for a long time, and the retina display is something I have been wanting to upgrade to, I just wasn't looking to upgrade so soon!

    One thing that puts me off the 13" retina, is not having quad-core processor. Again, maybe I should just choose the latter option and bide my time until Apple eventually release a quad-core version of the 13" retina.

    I don't really want to spend much money, but these are the only 2 options I can think of without having to buy an external HDD or downgrade to a Momentus XT 750gb HDD to use internally!

    Any suggestions or advice on the selling of the MBP with hard drives?

    Cheers
     
  2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2012
    #2
    well a cost effective option would be to get the 960 gb ssd. But yes the value does decrease over time so not sure if you may get the value you are expecting when you wish to sell it of.


    If i were in the same scenario i would just wait for the new release and go ahead with it.
     
  3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2011
    Location:
    Southern Cal
    #3
    If you don't use the CD/DVD much and still have the original HDD, you could install it in the opti-bay and move your iTunes data, etc. to HDD and leave OSX and apps on SSD. Music, movies, etc. typically don't need the SSD speed for playback. This might get you by for quite some time until you go for the upgrade.
     
  4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #4
    start streaming your media instead of downloading everything ;)

    Seriously, if within two years you manage to fill up 512 GB, how long will it take you to fill the additional 256 GB in the new machine? Also you will need a 1 TB external to keep regular updates (less if you exclude iTunes), so storing so much redundant stuff on your machine hurts you twice.

    Do you really need to have offline access to 100k songs and 50 movies (or whatever it is that takes up 300 GB) all the time?
     

Share This Page