15in MBP protection gear

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by intensee, Jun 28, 2009.

1. intensee macrumors newbie

hey so i just bought my new MBP today and im excited but i want to keep it as new as possible (can already see some grease getting on the keyboard). Now i know some of you will go on and say that protection gear is stupid and perhaps a sleeve is just good enough but i'm still a college student and my parents bought this laptop for me and expect it to last for a very long time.

so basically for sure i'm getting the incase sleeve, a keyboard cover/palmguard cover, and maybe the speck hard case or a bestskinsever cover?

do you guys know any good keyboard/palmguard covers that work for the new MBP? right now i'm looking at the moshi one and it looks pretty promising

for the palm (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW022LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Nw&mco=Njk5OTAwMg&p=1&s=topSellers)

keypad (http://www.amazon.com/Moshi-ClearGuard-Macbook-Keyboard-Protector/dp/B001QKI2DA/ref=pd_cp_e_2)

i heard, however, that the trackpad cover that comes with the moshi palmguard isnt that good since it lowers sensitivity. so how's the durability on these trackpads if i don't put one on?

then i don't know if i should get the speck hardcase or just a bestofskins cover. what do you guys think?

and yes i know it's probably excessive but i just really want to take good care of it!

2. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I bought this and I love it.

I used to have a Speck hard case and liked it but for my MBP's 1 year anniversary I removed it. :)

3. intensee thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm thinking of getting the speck hard case but i don't know whether i should get the clear one that scratches up easily or the black satin one that doesn't. the downside of the black one is that it no longer has that alu look to it :(

4. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

As a college student myself, and a MBP approaching 2 yrs old, I really haven't seen the need. I know thats not exactly the advice you wanted, but I am more extreme and harsh conditions in my studio and shop then most college students ever are.

That said I know lots of people who are very happy with a speck case on their computer. I like the black look. I have the incase sleeve and its been all the protection I have needed. I own an iSkin keyboard cover and it works great but I never end up using it because keyboard covers touch the screen and I am more worried about the marks it leaves then the dirt buildup that can be more easily taken care of.

http://www.iskin.com/product_kbrd_air.html?cart=12463398281589067

As far as protection goes...if you want to go all out and InvisibleShield would be great.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-macbook-pro-15-inch-3nd-gen-cases-covers-skins-shields.php

Thats a whole computer cover but that stuff is strong. I got it on my iPod touch and camera and love it. Though my palm area just sees wear more than it ever gets scratched. I had my top section replaced for free thanks to applecare so it all looks good to me.

Good luck with school and enjoy your new MBP.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have a combination of what's been mentioned before. I have the iSkin and absolutely love it for my MacBook Pro, I also have the Radtech cover, this is a must with the iSkin as it will def. imprint on the computer screen, I bought the Radtech over the Marware because it was bigger, it covers the whole screen. Go Incase not Speck, I find few that say the reverse, I had the Speck, but only in the short time as Incase updated its far superior product to the 17" size, not only are they better made, the Specks are notorious for not being good in terms of minor scratches to the computer from dirt.

6. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Speck Satin (black) is awesome for "hard" case cover.

Speck Satin

I tried keyboard cover in store but it does not feel right and the arm-rest and track-pad I can live without even though I am an oily person. I read somewhere that the trackpad is glass and will not react with oils.

Good luck.

7. kmac88 macrumors member

Yeah i agree, I have an Incase hardcover, and it's great.Feels very solid and looks good. Also has rubbery grip which prevents your $$$ macbook from slipping. I know that speck's satin case is similar, but think incase covers are better quality.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Incase are def. better quality and the rubbery feel is awesome. Also, how can you beat having a rich purple Mac?

9. intensee thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies!
    the thing is that i really love that alu look to the macbook so i'm getting the speck clearcase when they come out with the correct cut for the 2009 model!

the only question i have is whether or not the speck hard case would fit into the neoprene incase sleeve. anyone ever had both?

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

DONT GET THE SPECK CASE. THAT. That is the worst decision you could make; get the Incase Hard Shell, tons better.

My Incase Hard Shell fit snug into my Incase Neoprene (the 17-inch rendition).

I really cannot stress how inferior of a product the Speck is.

11. intensee thread starter macrumors newbie

haha but i just dislike the colored ones so much! if only they had a clear one! but who knows, i might be okay with the black case. also doesnt the incase hard shell limit the angle of the screen to 90 degrees?

i just bought my 15in neoprene sleeve and when i put my mbp in and zip it up, the zippers rub against my mbp :( which obviously means that the sleeve would be too small if i had that incase shell right?

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

On the 17" Non-Unibody, you can go beyond 90. I could go further back with the Incase then the Speck... The colors are distracting but I get plenty of comments for my obnoxious purple computer :). Plus, this is protection, not a fashion show.