Resolved 15in PowerBook issues...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Since my luck is so sour, I got my 15in PowerBook yesterday, and like the 12in, it arrived in not-booting condition... It gets stuck a few seconds after getting to the Tiger login window if I don't press anything. If I login, it logs me in, then it opens a finder windows and freezes. Upon booting from a Leopard Install disk, it gets stuck at the Apple logo and spinning wheel (not pinwheel/beach-ball). Booting through Verbose mode on both doesn't seem to point anything out, although I was just expecting it to freeze at a certain point, which would be the point that it freezes normally. The hdd also has a hard time turning on, usually I'll have to force restart the computer when i try to turn it on and then try again and it should turn on. I'm sadly guessing the HDD is on the way out, and i don't have any spare PATA drives, let alone any at all (I still need one for my Mac Mini G4). Anyway, anyone have some ideas as to help out? I tried opening it up and unplugging and redoing any cable i could find, but it had no effect.

Thanks in advance!

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Try taking the ram from the 12" to see if that helps make it usable to the desktop at least.

3. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Another DOA PowerBook fixed!

This time it was faulty RAM. I tried everything accept for the RAM, and of course that was the issue. The HDD now turns on normally, and doesn't freeze on start up. The larger of the two sticks of RAM was faulty (you had to know that was going to happen...), so I took the 512 stick from my 12in and stuck it into the 15in, and then I put a new 256 stick into my 12in, so now the 15in has 768, the 12in has 512, and stupidly, my iBook has 768 as well because Apple decided to have more onboard memory on the budget machine then the professional ones...