15inch MBP Hinge Loose?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jmouse, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Jmouse macrumors 6502

I did a search but nothing really came up the way i want it.

Right im bit fussy if you read my last thread.

This is what im obsessing about, i was using my 15inch mbp on my lap on the sofa. When i was done using it i hold my mbp from the base and stand up.

The screen lid tilt back the whole way. ( i did not apply any force on the lid )

Now i know the hinge is already looser than older gen mbp.

I just want to confirm if all unibody mbps has this problem.

If your reading this and you happen to have a 15inch mbp please do this simple test.

Holding your laptop on both hands, with the screen open normally. Slowly tilt it away from you. Did your screen tilt all the way to the back ?

Thanks for your time.

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

This doesn't occur on my 15-inch MacBook Pro (2010); the hinge is pretty solid and has been since the day I bought it.

Do you open and close the lid frequently? Just thinking that may have loosened it up a bit.

3. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

can anyone else confirm this? me and my friend ones are like that on the unibodys.

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I can't imagine the lid falling back without pushing it myself. Might just be a problem with yours.

5. JorgeNC macrumors newbie

It's well known that the hinge on many MBP's is rather loose :eek: That doesn't mean it's broken however. I have a PC with a very tight hinge, and even with that one, the screen will tilt back if you try and stand up holding the computer. On my 15" MBP, the hinge is strong, and not loose. I avoid opening and closing it often to keep it that way :D

6. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Well of course im pushing it. But this does not occur on my Powerbook G4 whcih is Aluminium.

i just need to confirm before i go into an apple store to test out their display models.

I Believe thats a design issue. and ALL MBP does it may be not 13 inch.

7. JorgeNC macrumors newbie

You should go into the store and try them. They're all rather loose, except the 13 inch. I don't think there's any problem with your computer from what you describe. It's gonna move if you push it, even a little bit.

8. miguueeel macrumors member

9. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

May be its the weight of the Glass.

I dunno but this is not so good From apple.

10. miguueeel macrumors member

i think it was my fault because one time there was a pencil in the back and when i open it it got stuck and i kinda tried to force it back .. but i don't know ..:rolleyes:

11. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

What problem ? exactly are you having?

12. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

It shouldn't do that... they'll tighten it up for you.

I once had a problem where there was too much play forward and back and they replaced the whole dang lid/display! Not sure why it couldn't just be tightened.

13. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmN9p9z3KgA

this is exactly what happened. except it happens on the other way as well...
    i.e. instead of closing , it fall s back fully.

you said it shouldnt be like that? does yours occur the same result?

14. kushed macrumors regular

if i hold my macbook vertically with the lid open it will close, and i dont think my old 13 did that. but this new 15 does. doesnt really bother me. But i deff think that the lids and keys are softer, or looser.

15. xdbuix macrumors 6502

if you're takign it to the store, can you keep me posted? I got the exact same problem with my 15"

Thanks!

16. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I think ALL UNIBODY with the BLACK Hinge does this.

Ive tried with 2 other mbps, ill head into one of the Bigger apple store and test out more. As far as i goes, this is happening to all Unibody mbp.

Yes not a big problem but more of a design flaw.