15MB Data Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by electrix, Aug 5, 2008.

1. electrix macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about buying an unlocked first gen iphone, but the only affordable (for me) data plan they offer is 15MB. Will I be able to do ANYTHING with this?

2. jciapara macrumors regular

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you just browse a bunch of WAP sites and stuff then you're good, but that's about it.

I just hope you realize that most websites will detect the iPhone as either iPhone or regular Safari so you will end up with the full site and that will kill your data plan.

4. electrix thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounds like I might be able to get by with limited EDGE browsing habits, especially because the campus is mostly wifi. What about using the MobileMe service? Will that absolutely kill my data plan?

5. electrix thread starter macrumors newbie

6. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Yes.

7. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

If you can't afford a reasonable data plan to go with the phone (at least 300mb) then you can't afford the phone. If you have access to lots of wifi just get a Touch. With only 15mb you will get charged for overages.

8. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

You'll probably be fine if you never use Safari. Maybe just do your mail with it.

9. iPhone3G macrumors member

For a quick point of reference, I have used 600 MB of data since launch day on my 3G. This means based on my current usage, I will accumulate about 800 MB of data usage in a monthly billing cycle.

I would say I'm about an average data user too. I download occasional apps, browse the web a little each day on-the-go, check sports scores, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary, especially for an iPhone user. However, I rarely have wifi available so you may have an edge over my usage in that regard.

Just thought I'd offer an idea of an "average" iPhoner's data usage for comparison's sake. Good luck, and watch out for those overages!

10. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

lol 15mb data plan, what would you do with that?

11. electrix thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason I was wanted an iPhone was because it has everything the Touch has, PLUS capabilities as a phone, and for only maybe 100 bucks more on eBay. But you think I should just get a Touch?

Thanks for the replies. It looks like based on the general consensus here that I might have to pony up and purchase the 20MB plan. :D

12. rust.puppet macrumors regular

if you cant afford the unlimited data for 30$ a month, than you probably cant afford the iphone in general. get a touch, keep your normal phone.

13. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I don't think he has AT&T.