15mm HD's ??

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Would they fit the 15 inch ?? :D

Or would this have the same bay size limitations?

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Nope, 12.5 mm is the maximum height, and as 2.5 mm might not be much, it will press against the bottom and probably make a small bulge.
+1 Tried it, you're gonna have a hard time screwing the back panel back.. :(

----------

The design of the 13" and 15" MBP is very similar, I don't think the 15" model has any more room height wise.
Ugh no, it might fit in the 15" but you might have to remove the HDD caddy screws. Im not sure thou.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
Typically 15mm drives are server hard drives that will not function in a laptop. They require 12v, and a laptop SATA connector will not give them that.

12mm drives on the other hand, are typically just thick laptop drives due to platter density, so they will run just fine (given the computers ability to physically fit the drive).

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
The original 1TB 2.5" drives...Hitachi?

It goes in with no mods.
You sure about that? 1TB 12.5mm 2.5" notebook hard drives were available more than a couple years ago... I know, because I ran one for a while in a mid-2010 15" MBP (drive purchased September 2010). Mine was a Samsung but Hitachi offered 12.5mm 1TB drives at that time as well. And WD was shipping a 12.5mm 2.5" 1TB drive a full year before I purchased my Samsung.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
You sure about that? 1TB 12.5mm 2.5" notebook hard drives were available more than a couple years ago... I know, because I ran one for a while in a mid-2010 15" MBP (drive purchased September 2010). Mine was a Samsung but Hitachi offered 12.5mm 1TB drives at that time as well. And WD was shipping a 12.5mm 2.5" 1TB drive a full year before I purchased my Samsung.
Yes I'm sure about that

I'm pretty sure those were 12.5mm drives and the other poster was correct. As far as I know, the 15mm drives require 12v on the SATA power connector that laptops don't typically provide.
I'm not talking about enterprise drives..

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ST1000LM010-NDW-R

here is one that's non enterprise..when 1TB notebook drives came out the were 15mm 4 platters I believe. Now 2TB is at 15mm endless to say they both fit in the Mac.
The Freeplay series of drives are not intended for notebooks, they are replacement drives for the GoFlex drives. They are pin-compatable with notebook drives, but not size wise. I tried using a 1TB Freeplay drive from a GoFlex drive on my old 2010 17" Macbook Pro, and it didn't fit correctly. All screws went in, but it was swelling. The only way I felt safe using it was with a hardshell case on it in case some of the screws popped out.

No Macbook Pro can fit a 15mm drive correctly, they actually stick out of the unibody when installed.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
The Freeplay series of drives are not intended for notebooks, they are replacement drives for the GoFlex drives. They are pin-compatable with notebook drives, but not size wise. I tried using a 1TB Freeplay drive from a GoFlex drive on my old 2010 17" Macbook Pro, and it didn't fit correctly. All screws went in, but it was swelling. The only way I felt safe using it was with a hardshell case on it in case some of the screws popped out.

No Macbook Pro can fit a 15mm drive correctly, they actually stick out of the unibody when installed.
You do realize I wasn't advocating the drive right?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
15mm drives can fit in a notebook, just not in the a Mac.

There are gaming computers that weight 12 lbs and are 4" thick that can fit these drives.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
It is a notebook drive..

"This Seagate FreePlay ST1000LM010 SATA 2.5-inch hard drive is the ideal upgrade for notebooks or for use as an on-the-go external storage device! "
Except the FreePlay drives are designed for the GoFlex drives...

It doesn't matter what the site is trying to sell it as, it's not gonna come in retail packaging because it's not really a retail item they're selling. It's more a repair part for a broken GoFlex.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Except the FreePlay drives are designed for the GoFlex drives...

It doesn't matter what the site is trying to sell it as, it's not gonna come in retail packaging because it's not really a retail item they're selling. It's more a repair part for a broken GoFlex.
OK, we've now gotten to the it doesn't matter what the manufacturer says it's something different. That's where I though this would go so I'm going to bow out.