Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I have a 2017 Land Rover Discovery. My 13 mini would connect via USB A cable to give me CarPlay. I use the feature more than anything else on my phone. I’ve plugged in my 15pro and while the phone connects to charge the CarPlay functionality does not appear to be working. Can anyone else with wired CarPlay and maybe a slightly older vehicle give it a try and see if they have the same issues?

Reactions: livspop

paulopadopa

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
You probably are using a charging only cable. USB can support charging only if it’s cheap or just been bundled with something just for charging. You’ll need to find a usb 2.0 cable at least for the data part.

Reactions: StudioMacs

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I assume you did the setup with your car - I remember from previous phone changes I had to do some add the phone to carplay type stuff on my car

Reactions: SugarDaddy

livspop

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
I have a 2017 Land Rover Discovery. My 13 mini would connect via USB A cable to give me CarPlay. I use the feature more than anything else on my phone. I’ve plugged in my 15pro and while the phone connects to charge the CarPlay functionality does not appear to be working. Can anyone else with wired CarPlay and maybe a slightly older vehicle give it a try and see if they have the same issues?
I am indeed having the same issue. I have a data-capable cable. In fact I've tried two different ones. Ironically, I do have an adapter that provides me with wireless carplay and it does work. It's sometimes unreliable so I wanted to see what the wired experience would be like and no bueno. CarPlay doesn't recognize my 2017 Chevy Malibu at all when wired to the new iPhone. It worked fine with my 14 Pro Max with iOS 17 but not my new 15 Pro Max.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Oh man, this could be annoying. I rely on Carplay for navigation. Pick up my iPhone on Sunday and will check it out. Will be connecting to 2021 Ford.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

CarolinaFoxGT

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2016
When I plugged my 15 Pro Max into my 2022 Ford Mustang for the first time it prompted for the CarPlay setup, which was just tapping ok a couple of times on the car’s display, but after that it was working flawlessly. I was also using probably one of the cheapest USB C cables I could find at Best Buy so it wasn’t exactly the highest of quality.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
You probably are using a charging only cable. USB can support charging only if it’s cheap or just been bundled with something just for charging. You’ll need to find a usb 2.0 cable at least for the data part.

It was the cable which is odd. I was under the impression all usb c cables met a specification. It was a thick cable too. Went to Best Buy and picked one up off the rack and cools it started working.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Oh man, this could be annoying. I rely on Carplay for navigation. Pick up my iPhone on Sunday and will check it out. Will be connecting to 2021 Ford.
It ended up being the cable. My discovery only has usb A and the cable I used for the phone I guess didn’t have data capabilities.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I am indeed having the same issue. I have a data-capable cable. In fact I've tried two different ones. Ironically, I do have an adapter that provides me with wireless carplay and it does work. It's sometimes unreliable so I wanted to see what the wired experience would be like and no bueno. CarPlay doesn't recognize my 2017 Chevy Malibu at all when wired to the new iPhone. It worked fine with my 14 Pro Max with iOS 17 but not my new 15 Pro Max.
Well I went to Best Buy and bought a 3ft store brand one for $5 then it started working. I guess my USB A-> C cable wasn’t compliant.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Same experience here with a Honda Accord. The first cable I tried didn't work, but the second one id. Unfortunately, it's a bit short, so I'll probably buy a longer one. That's one thing about all these USB cables I hate - it's often hard to tell what they can be used for because they're not labeled.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
It was the cable which is odd.
CarPlay is hyper sensitive to using the right cables so using third party cables are just a matter of luck. I would always say use an OEM apple cable which has never given me a problem, but for some strange reason apple doesn't offer USB-C to USB-A cables. It's like they forgot that they were in that part of the business and that most iPhone 15 customers wouldn't have shiny new USBC CarPlay ports in their vehicles.

I was under the impression all usb c cables met a specification.

There is certification but the vendor has to build it up to spec and get it certified. Most USB C cables are not certified . Some of them are downright dangerous. and many of them lie about their capabilities. Since the cables are moving around alot more power and data than the old USB-A cables, compliance is much more important for a smooth experience.

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
There are some cables out there that can be “charge only”. They only connect the power and have no data wires. So be wary of cables that are called “charging cables” and don’t mention any kind of sync/data functions. Haven’t run into it too often, but wasted way too much time on a “bad” cable like this before.

Luvky13

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
I am having the same issue in my 2022 Jeep Wrangler. Sometimes I have to plug and unplug the phone a few times to get it to work. I’m using the cable that came with the phone.

Armendegga

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009
Valdosta, GA
I am having the same issue in my 2022 Jeep Wrangler. Sometimes I have to plug and unplug the phone a few times to get it to work. I’m using the cable that came with the phone.
Exact same issue here. I have to unplug and replug several times for CarPlay to show up. It charges just fine. 2018 Jeep JL here, and also using the included USB C cable.

Morphinius

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2016
This issue is also happening with my 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has nothing to do with the cables. I have used both Apple brand cables and Anker and have had issues with both. It can take four our five tries to get CarPlay to show up. Even after it shows up it can randomly disconnect while in use. Turning off Bluetooth prior to connecting the phone may increase the success rate, but this could be due to random chance, too. Charging always works. Edit: It worked perfectly fine with my iPhone 11 Pro.

Last edited:

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
My wife is having the same problem in her 2022 Toyota 4 runner.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
So I had this in the first year of my discovery. It came down to software updates. I can’t say for certain what side it was on but I believe it to be the phone being new and the vehicle needing updates to use the same protocols.

anthonycw

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2023
OK, so I had this issue when I got my 15 Pro. First it apparently was my cable, but then after working briefly the stereo would just shut down right after connecting, over and over and over.
Then, after one of the first iOS updates, everything worked again! Cut to today after updating to 17.2, and it’s connecting and shutting down again. So frustrating, whatever this bug is.

For the record, I’m using an aftermarket stereo, Pioneer AVH-2550NEX, in a ‘14 CX-5. Never had this issue in the four years with my 11 Pro.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I use CarPlay with my 15 PM in my RX350h and for the last few weeks every time I start it, Maps gives me suggestion from my past destinations! Did not used to do this so it is likely one of the updates.

I do not need Apple Maps showing me on a map how to get home when I am only blocks away from my house!

How to turn this off?

Morphinius

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2016
After the 17.2 update my iPhone 15 Pro and Carplay in my Jeep has worked ten times in a row. I’m hoping the issue is finally solved.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I am unable to find the setting on my phone or the vehicle to keep CarPlay from telling me how to get home, when I am at the local grocery. It did not used to do this but has been for the last month or so. Makes me feel like it is due to one of the many updates for my 15 ProMax.

The suggestion on the map on how to go home does disappear after like 60 seconds . . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.