15w or 28w processor in new 13" mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joscejrod, Oct 23, 2016.

1. joscejrod macrumors 6502

joscejrod

Hello guys. I've read a lot because I've been waiting the incoming like you for a long time (my 15" mbp is 10 years old now...). In this case, I want to buy the 13" version because I thing is the sweet spot between power and portability. BUT... it could change if Apple decides to skip 28w in order to decrease the laptop size and weight and increase its battery life. Dell for example has done that with its 13" xps and now it has a 15w Kaby Lake-U processor inside. The problem here is with the GPU, as we all know that 13" mbp only have iGPU. The differences between 28w models (iris 550) and 15w models (540, 520 or 620 with kabylake) are MASSIVE!! What do you think about?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I don't see them changing what they've previously done. 15w Kaby Lake for the Air (or high-end "MacBook",) 28w Skylake w/ Intel 540 for the 13" Pro.

3. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

4. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

I think it's certainly going to be the 28w. If they use the 15w variant there will be a precipitous drop in performance between the old and new 13". If Intel were actually making decent gains year over year it would be fantastic to fit in that lower power envelope but they aren't.

5. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

yeah. that´s the theory. But if Apple really wants to decrease its form factor and skip the macbook air. Maybe they simplify their portfolio to only a super thin 12" macbook, a high-power 15" mpb and a 13" mbp between both...however the rumor of a new 13" laptop (12" macbook maximized or 13" macbook air revamped) gives me hope to believe in your thoughts...

6. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Yes you will likely see that 15w chip in an updated Air or Macbook

7. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

so kaby lake in its revamped 13" air and old generation in its main products (12" mbp was released this year and I doubt it will be updated so soon, and new MBp will have skylake in both sizes if your thoughts are true)??!!

8. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Indeed but that doesn't mean the little Kaby Lake machines are going to be faster than the rMBPs. They simply don't have the power or thermals to keep up. They would have efficiency advantages in general and especially with graphics and video decode though but just not the brute force.

9. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

The current rMBP has a broadwell(13") or haswell(15") CPU. Having an older CPU in their higher end models isn't that far fetched.

10. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

yep. But the many clients(only people with big knowledge could differentiate both generations and understand the reasons) will read 7th generation in the revamped model and 6th in all of the main products ...a little bit awkward I think. Don´t you?

11. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

No. The CPU gets the job done just fine. How is that "awkward"?

12. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

As @T5BRICK already said, that's been the case for some time with the rMBPs. I don't think anyone seriously expects the MacBook to faster than the MacBook Pro though.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly plenty of self-proclaimed "tech enthusiasts" here who have that fundamental lack of understanding (See: Waiting for Sky/Kaby Lake threads for many examples) but I don't think crippling the 13" rMBP is a solution to that.

13. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

I agree. And As I see you as a very sensible person, I would like to ask you something... will we see new mbp in matte black?

14. Feenician, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016

Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

lol. Answer: I don't know but I hope so because that'd look badass :cool:

Edit: also, the ad writes itself. Apple's usual swoopy product glamour shots in Jonyspace and AC/DC's "Back in Black" playing as a callback to the old Blackbook. You can send me a cheque now, Tim. :D

15. Count Blah, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016

Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

Take a look at what they did to the 2014 Mini - it was worse than the prior version. Given that, I don't think anything is below Apple to do, to disappoint their knowledgeable customers.

And don't even get people started with the last "update" to the Mac Pro. It was closed off, and out of date when first released, and that was almost 3 years ago!!!

16. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Mac Pro and Mac Mini are indeed the proverbial red-headed step-children. Wouldn't be surprised to see either canned (pun unintended) or just neglected and left to rot.

17. leman macrumors G3

I don't see Apple going a tier down in CPU. Its just not their style. They have always organised their laptop portfolio around Intel's CPU tiers and there is no reason to abandon it now.

18. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

The late 2009 27" iMac has a really bad screen contrast. I already knew it, but when I've configured the wallpaper of my Imac this afternoon to show the invitation of "hello again" event (Too much excited lol), I've had to change it again because the horrible background black color showed...it's obvious that new mbp won't have oled displays because of much higher cost, but I really like to see improved screen technology. My old late 2006 15" mbp has a matte display and the mentioned imac has a horrendous glossy display(high reflection, really bad contrast, poor backlight with very different zones...)so, it's possible to get a really good display (as good as iphone 7 plus display would be enough!) in this laptop which is able to have the good of matte and glossy displays in one??

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The anti-glare coating on the retina models has been excellent your out of date tech has given you a distorted view of modern screens, I also fully expect them to have the new coating from the iPad Pro on the new macs and that is considered industry leading by screen test sites as is their p3 colour contrast and individually calibrated screens.

20. leman macrumors G3

The current 5K iMac display is known as one of the best consumer displays in the industry, with wide gamut, excellent contrast etc. etc. I fully expect the new MBP to come with displays of similar caliber.

21. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

So three leaked models as Russian papers has revealed. That third model could be the key to get a full powered 28w 13" mpb!

22. mac.ross macrumors member

According to KGI who have been right pretty much every time for the past few years it's going to be a 13" MacBook Pro, a 15" Macbook Pro and a 13" Retina Macbook (possibly replacing the air completely).