16:10 display with Warcraft 3?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by haiggy, Sep 16, 2009.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Hey guys,
    I was looking into getting a bigger monitor for my MBP. Does anyone have any experience with Warcraft 3 (RoC and TFT) with a 16:10 monitor? I know OS X supports Warcraft 3 in widescreen (16:9) as I am running it on my MBP but is it possible to run it on say a 22" display with 16:10 and no black bars on either the top or sides of the monitor?
    Thanks so much!

2. Zortrium macrumors 6502

My guess is that you could get it to be fullscreen, but it'd just stretch at the sides slightly. I know the Windows version of WC3 does this even for the usual widescreen resolutions -- built-in widescreen support was actually native only to the Mac version. If the slight stretching would bother you, I think you might be SOL, but the widescreen stretching on the Windows version didn't bother me much even when I was used to the Mac version.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't know of any Mac sold with a 16:9 screen. You mentioned that you run it on your MBP. All MBP's have 16:10 screens. Do you currently have black bars?

4. Zortrium macrumors 6502

I completely spaced out the fact that I'm sitting in front of a 16:9 monitor right now (1920x1080 Dell). I just fired up WC3 and can confirm that it's got a 1920x1080 entry, so you're good to go (I normally play on my 1920x1200 iMac).

5. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry,
    I should clarify. I'm meaning to purchase a 24" 16:10 display (1900x1200) and was wondering if Warcraft 3 would support it in widescreen mode (I don't want the black bars!) And apparently seeing as the 24" iMac has this resolution... that answers my question.

Currently when I play it on my MBP with its 16:9 display it's stretched and that is how I like it/prefer to play it now that I've gotten used to it from the old days of the 4:3 displays.

I was just seeing if it would support 1900x1200 natively using the entire screen. I saw some people talking about having to use Regedit on windows to change the registry values for the resolution... but I guess yeah, TFT for Mac automatically allows for a widescreen resolution set up.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: DOH! MBPs are 16:10? Wow, I'm pretty stupid :( Guess this answers my question as well. Thanks. Feelin' pretty slow today :)