16:9 Resolutions no longer available?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Beric, May 14, 2009.

1. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I just noticed that all of my 16:9 resolutions have just disappeared from my available resolutions list in system preferences. They were there before. This is true for the resolutions of my 24" external monitor as well. What can I do? I need to have the 720p and 1080p resolutions available. But they're just gone. Every other resolution is there.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It might be a corrupt preference file that is no longer showing the proper resolutions. There was a post around here regarding secondary displays, which I imagine could be a similar issue with the native screens resolution as well. I'll look around for it, but otherwise I would suggest going to Apple's discussion forums for a search, or a good ol' Google search for the time being.

3. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

These are my available resolutions. i think 1080p is 1920x1080 but not sure on 720... so have a look!

From this i am presuming you are asking if they are missing after the 10.5.7 update.

[​IMG]

edit: sorry about the horizontal size.

4. rtheb macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7614920&postcount=5

5. GilesM macrumors 6502

I do not think the 10.5.7. update was the cause. I recently updated, and my list of resolutions was not changed after the update.
    I have a 20' imac running at maximum 1650x1050 and a external 24' iiyama monitor running at 1920x1080.
    This would indicate (though not conclusively) that the update is not the source of your issue.

6. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

Hey guys. Sorry about not getting around to this until now (been very busy). Anyway, I threw away those preferences (both in my user account and the main library. But my list of resolutions still looks exactly like the screenshot above. No 1920x1080 is available. And I am certain it used to be.

Anyway, it doesn't look like the issue is going to be easy to fix. :(

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you sure, the 1920x1080 resolution was there before?
    As of the Apple LED Cinema Display Specs page (http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html), the display doesn't support such resolution, and frankly I wouldn't know why it should.

If the proper/native resolution is 1920x1200, then 1920x1080 would give you a distorted image, ratio wise at least.

And any other resolution would look *****, as the pixels have to be combined to offer less than the available resolution.

It would look just better with the scaling the software you play your video content with offers.

May we know, why do you need the 720 and 1080 resolution so badly?
    p and i don't make a difference by the way, with flat screen computer monitors at least.