16:9 to 4:3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by unriehl, Jul 2, 2008.

1. unriehl macrumors newbie

unriehl

i have footage I shoot in 16:9 ration and need to convert to 4:3 in final cut. how do i do this? Thanks in advance

2. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

I havent used FCP for a while, but in Avid you can put a "filter" effect and it will do a pan and scan to make it into 4:3. Be aware though that it will lose footage on the left and right so your footage will have to have the information you want more or less in the center of frame!

3. MatchFrame macrumors member

Your footage is currently "anamorphic," but you need it to be in "letterbox," meaning that it is a 4x3 frame with black bars above and below the 16x9 image.

You'll be able to do this using the Video Filters. Search the help file/manual for instructions. It is your best friend, and the FCP manual is very thorough.

You could create a sequence that is 4x3 and put the footage into that timeline. Once you render it on the timeline, you can either work on it directly within the sequence OR export a new 4x3 quicktime and re-import it, depending on what you need to do with it exactly.

It would help us to know more about what you want to do with the footage (crop, letterbox, export, etc) so that we can give you the right answer.

4. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Technically what you are talking about is 14:9 letterbox (to get 16:9 fha to fit in a 4:3 screen with the correct aspect ratio with black bars top and bottom)

A centre crop is to get 16:9 fha to 4:3 FULL SCREEN with the correct ratio with no black bars top and bottom. Hope that makes some sence!

5. unriehl thread starter macrumors newbie

unriehl

more info on the 16:9 ratio thing

I shot the video with a Sony DSR PD150 in the 16:9 mode.
    Its a TV spot and now theyre telling us they can only accept 4:3.
    We want to letterbox it anyway to add company info top and bottom.
    I'm just not sure how to change video once in final cut to the 4:3 ratio. hope this helps.

t

6. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Ok, so yes what you'll need to do is make your 16x9fha (full height anamorphic) footage the PD150 makes to 14x9 letterbox. Then your active picture will be in a 4x3 ratio but you will have bars top and bottom. Going this route will also stop any footage being cropped out of frame. Its a personnal thing as the other footage within the programe may be 4:3 full frame (no bars) so when it cuts to your clip it may look strange.

If you look on creativecow.net there is a FCP forum and tutorial. I was trying to load it to find the link but the sites been a bit un responsive! Its probably just a filter or effect you drop onto a free video layer about your final picture layer.

Good luck

7. unriehl thread starter macrumors newbie

unriehl

i'll try that

so making it 14:9 won't distort image? thanks much for all the info

8. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Nope. What you'll have at the moment (if you're watching it on a 4:3 monitor) is a picture where everyone looks tall and thin, and circles look stretched top to bottom, thats 16:9 fha. Making this into 14x9 letterbox will make the picture look right fittin git into a 4:3 picture. Think of it as pressing the top and bottom of the picture together to get the right aspect ratio, leaving the black bars top and bottom.