16:9 with black stipes

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rangrego, Oct 14, 2009.

1. rangrego macrumors newbie

hello,
    I have Sony-pd170 camera
    I film 16:9 - Anamorphic
    Edit on Final-Cut and would like to get at the end:

DVD for widescreen tv with 2 black borders (If i am not wrong it calls-letterbox) on top and bottom of the movie, without losing any information from the original footage.

I've tried using compressor and changed the output image inset (padding) to 16X9 1.78:1
    nothing happened...
    I do not want to put my own black strips (build on photoshop), put it on top of the layer video and losing information.

I am really confused,
    please help me.
    Ran.

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

There is an option is the FC filters named Matte Box. Choose the 1:2.35 format. This is the regular movie format but keep in mind you will loose quality as it does nothing more than hiding part of your footage.

3. rangrego thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't find the filter Matte Box ....
    I should buy it?

If I loose quality, what is the best way?
    there is maybe camera that film with black strips? print on tape?

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I have a filmmaker friend with the same camcorder as you. And he sticks to 16/9.

From my opinion it's unnecessary to add these stripes to simulate the film look. Yes they are sexy, but they come from the fact that film cameras use natively this Panavision format.

But adding them in top of your footage will just decrease the number of pixels of your image.

Why exactly do you want to add them ?

5. rangrego thread starter macrumors newbie

Like you said...Sexy look
    Maybe I am a old fashion guy, but there are still movies on the web, TV commercials, etc' ,( and even DVD...) with those strips, am I wrong?
    If you have a client who wants that kind of look, what would you tell him?

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Depends what your project is intended for.

If you really want to simulate the cinema effect this could be useful. Ie for a commercial etc. But 1:2.35 format comes as well with wider lens, so a wider vision.

For the last festival we did, we had to release footage in 16/9, only format accepted.

There was a good post a few days ago on the "film cinema look" here. There are many other ways to give a film look to your footage (like depth of field lighting etc). Personally I prefer to work on this.

7. rangrego thread starter macrumors newbie

So what did you do for the festival? how you release footage in 16/9 ??
    and tell me please, where was the post? where do you live?

8. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

This is the post

But look on youtube for "film look" you will find many threads on this.

I live in France and the festival we did was the 48H Film Project. We finally released the project in 16/9 anamorphic. It was shot with a Sony Z1 camcorder.

9. rangrego thread starter macrumors newbie

so I guess you didn't use black strips only Anamorphic fullscreen ?

10. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

11. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

firstly edit your sequence in 16x9, then create a 2nd sequence and in settings make that 4x3, (in sequence settings), then nest your first sequence in to the second, (drag the first on to the second) when you get they box poping up saying do you want to change the settings , say no.

you will now have a 4x3 sequence with your 16x9 letterbox centre and your sexy black lines.

alternatively you can do in compressor, turn padding on and for dv pal i set top & bottom to 71, you have to experiment if you are in other format, also turn frame controls on and set resize to best.