16" base Model is just the right amount of performance for virtualisation....

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
What virtualization software are you using? Also how many cpu cores, memory are you dedicating to your vm's?

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
What virtualization software are you using? Also how many cpu cores, memory are you dedicating to your vm's?
paralels for Windows and 2/4 cores depending if I have another. For Linux using VMware fusion

Reactions: cmhsam

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
Very nice results and useful post. Thank you.
It seems that the 2.3 is very capable. Do you think that you could be better with 32GB RAM?
- - Post merged: - -

I just noticed, Is your cpu an i7? If yes, it is a 2.6 one. the 8 core i9 is a 2.3 one

Last edited:

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Very nice results and useful post. Thank you.
It seems that the 2.3 is very capable. Do you think that you could be better with 32GB RAM?
- - Post merged: - -

I just noticed, Is your cpu an i7? If yes, it is a 2.6 one. the 8 core i9 is a 2.3 one
It’s an i7! Honestly I don’t think the 32GB would make any sense for me. With 3/4 VMs I still have 2-3GB left.

nbjustforfun

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
Looking at you charts I have a few questions...no chrome or Firefox use? No word and powerpoint use? Are your vm’s running? any local app dev running like Xcode or dB development that you need to load tables into ram? With only 37min up time those charts do not seem reflective of a full days work for you. I got the i9 16gb base and am returning for 32gb cause I regulary get to 14.5gb use with no vm’s. I get macOS will suck up ram the longer the machine is on and only clean when necessary but 16gb to me seemed to low. Use for a full day and load up everything you use then take the same screen shots. Will not look as tidy...

Reactions: gplusplus

gplusplus

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2018
Looking at you charts I have a few questions...no chrome or Firefox use? No word and powerpoint use? Are your vm’s running? any local app dev running like Xcode or dB development that you need to load tables into ram? With only 37min up time those charts do not seem reflective of a full days work for you. I got the i9 16gb base and am returning for 32gb cause I regulary get to 14.5gb use with no vm’s. I get macOS will suck up ram the longer the machine is on and only clean when necessary but 16gb to me seemed to low. Use for a full day and load up everything you use then take the same screen shots. Will not look as tidy...
Yea I agree. I already come close to maxing 32 GB on my 2018 MBP, so I got the 64 GB option on my 16 inch, anticipating that my needs will grow. It took about 2 years for me to exceed 16 GB and need to upgrade to 32.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
I only use Safari as all our work related web apps are optimised for it. I don't use Word or Powerpoint most just 3-4 Excels at a time.

No need for Xcod and DB development got those running on Azure on clients servers. (Wouldn't make sense for me to develop on mine since I would need to deploy it on the cloud?)

I have no idea how you get those stats.. I got like 20-25 safari tabs open and got 2 VMs going one Windows and the other Linux and so far got 3GB free.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
Got my 16" inch a few hours ago and so far so good! No more stuttering like in my previous 13" 2017 TB

I have attached my normal workflow usage details in here.
What app are you using in those screenshots?

gplusplus

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2018
I only use Safari as all our work related web apps are optimised for it. I don't use Word or Powerpoint most just 3-4 Excels at a time.

No need for Xcod and DB development got those running on Azure on clients servers. (Wouldn't make sense for me to develop on mine since I would need to deploy it on the cloud?)

I have no idea how you get those stats.. I got like 20-25 safari tabs open and got 2 VMs going one Windows and the other Linux and so far got 3GB free.
With the way you use your VMs, you're like the ideal candidate for Microsoft's new WSL2 - Windows Subsystem for Linux 2. It's not generally available yet, just an opt-in tech preview with some bugs, but it's basically optimized for your exact use case. Only issue is that, obviously, it's on Windows. So if you prefer macOS and/or the MacBook Pro hardware, I totally get it (and I'm right there with you). Just figured I'd mention it. You could get pretty far with, say, a ThinkPad P1.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
With the way you use your VMs, you're like the ideal candidate for Microsoft's new WSL2 - Windows Subsystem for Linux 2. It's not generally available yet, just an opt-in tech preview with some bugs, but it's basically optimized for your exact use case. Only issue is that, obviously, it's on Windows. So if you prefer macOS and/or the MacBook Pro hardware, I totally get it (and I'm right there with you). Just figured I'd mention it. You could get pretty far with, say, a ThinkPad P1.
Yeah I have been reading about this quite a bit and it seems very very interesting! Wha keeps me glued to the MacBook Pro is definitely having a MacOS where I have my apps like office, Keypass, Parallels (it's amazing for Windows VM) and definitely the Handoff & iMessage features... hardware wise for sure is the screen which beats every single Windows one out there even especially thanks to True Tone! I also enjoy the seamless bluetooth connection between mouse/keyboard!

gplusplus

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2018
Yeah I have been reading about this quite a bit and it seems very very interesting! Wha keeps me glued to the MacBook Pro is definitely having a MacOS where I have my apps like office, Keypass, Parallels (it's amazing for Windows VM) and definitely the Handoff & iMessage features... hardware wise for sure is the screen which beats every single Windows one out there even especially thanks to True Tone! I also enjoy the seamless bluetooth connection between mouse/keyboard!
Yea, you and I seem to have the same criteria in that regard. Trust me, I get it.

Glad to hear you’re happy with your new gear. :) There are too many divas that just love to complain. LOL

TeCH-Guruz

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
Got my 16" inch a few hours ago and so far so good! No more stuttering like in my previous 13" 2017 TB

I have attached my normal workflow usage details in here.
I have no clue how your ram usage is so low I've only got safari open and currently using up 23gb.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Yea, you and I seem to have the same criteria in that regard. Trust me, I get it.

Glad to hear you’re happy with your new gear. :) There are too many divas that just love to complain. LOL
I usually upgrade every 3/4 years but this one was a huge improvement in both size and performance!

I have no clue how your ram usage is so low I've only got safari open and currently using up 23gb.
most likely to how memory is wired and cached it uses according to your pattern just like Linux