Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
I love my Mac Pro but am about to start a huge project that will require some serious horsepower and my options are slim...

Does anyone know if it's possible and if so, have a guide to do a 16 core hackintosh with E5's?:confused:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
I love my Mac Pro but am about to start a huge project that will require some serious horsepower and my options are slim...

Does anyone know if it's possible and if so, have a guide to do a 16 core hackintosh with E5's?:confused:

It's possible; but just too expensive for what you get and they are generally more problematic to tame, that is to get everything working right. The top of the line Westmeres (x5680s and x5690s) are more reasonably priced, easier to work with and not locked down like the E5s are.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It's possible; but just too expensive for what you get and they are generally more problematic to tame, that is to get everything working right. The top of the line Westmeres (x5680s and x5690s) are more reasonably priced, easier to work with and not locked down like the E5s are.

So they come out better in price to performance ratio than the E5s even if you stick to a 12 core E5 setup? This doesn't necessarily have to be a hackintosh, but I wouldn't mind dual booting it as one:D. I'm not completely happy with the current available options from Apple.

Yeah it's possible.

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=55963
16 Cores, 32 threads, 128GB RAM
That is just awesome.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
So they come out better in price to performance ratio than the E5s even if you stick to a 12 core E5 setup? This doesn't necessarily have to be a hackintosh, but I wouldn't mind dual booting it as one:D. I'm not completely happy with the current available options from Apple.

That is just awesome.

This is the very one that I have in mind. I had been working with lightninhopkins to get turbo working in OSX but can't do so. So for the purpose indicated by the OP, it's actually a lot slower that my WolfPack1. Even on other OSes, most such systems are less than 4% faster than mine - not a big improvement. http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/top

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
This is the very one that I have in mind. I had been working with lightninhopkins to get turbo working in OSX but can't do so. So for the purpose indicated by the OP, it's actually a lot slower that my WolfPack1. Even on other OSes, most such systems are less than 4% faster than mine - not a big improvement. http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/top

Oh man what do you feed that thing? 40k overall and 68k floating point score. That's practically a core2duo era server farm. Care to post about the build:D?

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Tutor, what motherboard did you use for Wolfpack1? I haven't actually looked at the details of that build since I couldn't find it on tonymac.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Oh man what do you feed that thing? 40k overall and 68k floating point score. That's practically a core2duo era server farm. Care to post about the build:D?

It has two underclocked/turbo biased 5680s who reside on an EVGA SR2 mobo. So it not so much what it's being feed as much as what it isn't being feed. Overclocking requires high Vcore/ high Vcore requires more power -> more heat -> throttling. Underclocking keeps Vcore within CPU's spec VID/ lower Vcore doesn't require as much power -> more cool cores -> more turbo boosting potential and with a turbo ratio of 13 13 13 13 14 14 because 3.33 GHz chips are being underclocked to run at <2.5 GHz. It's on a reduced power, current, heat, and throttling diet. See, for more info, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1333421/ . The performance of other reduced consumption systems can be found by clicking on the URL in signature line.

----------

WOW.... Tutor that is amazing! Post a vid please!

Within the next couple of weeks, I'll be posting pics of the whole WolfPack clan.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It has two underclocked/turbo biased 5680s who reside on an EVGA SR2 mobo. So it not so much what it's being feed as much as what it isn't being feed. Overclocking requires high Vcore/ high Vcore requires more power -> more heat -> throttling. Underclocking keeps Vcore within CPU's spec VID/ lower Vcore doesn't require as much power -> more cool cores -> more turbo boosting potential and with a turbo ratio of 13 13 13 13 14 14 because 3.33 GHz chips are being underclocked to run at <2.5 GHz. It's on a reduced power, current, heat, and throttling diet. See, for more info, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1333421/ . The performance of other reduced consumption systems can be found by clicking on the URL in signature line.

How does it perform on real tasks? Have you specced it on cinebench too? So how much do you think it costs to be worth looking at building a dual package system as opposed to something like the single build you mention in that link?

DJenkins

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I think his cinebench score is in his signature - CB 11.5

I'm having a 12 core machine built using the SR2 and Westmeres as tutor mentioned, will report back when it's up and running.

Now onto the real question... who's going to build a hack using these bad boys?? :p

Tutor

macrumors 65816
How does it perform on real tasks? Have you specced it on cinebench too? So how much do you think it costs to be worth looking at building a dual package system as opposed to something like the single build you mention in that link?

Example only
2 x5680s ---------------------------------------------------$3,000
2 CORSAIR H80 ----------------------------------------------210
Evga sr2 Mobo -----------------------------------------------530
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold1200W PSU --------------250
DIAMOND 7970PE53G Radeon HD 7970 3GB---------------450
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z-48 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 PC3 14900-----450
Dual 240GB OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI Express SSD----1020
OSes-----------------------------------------------------------220
Total~ $6130 w/o case, tax and shipping

Below is an old pic showing the system report page of FrankMacWinTosh (aka FrankHacWinTosh) [and now known as WolfPack1] while it was running (all at the same time - low scores to prove it) (1) CPUTest, (2) Maya [rendering an HD animation at the rate of 1-3 seconds per frame], (3) Cinebench, (4) Geekbench and (5) mCoreTest64 and the results thereof. Non-abused Cinebench and Geekbench scores -> sig.

Attachments

• SmokingMacProSimultaneous5.png
    SmokingMacProSimultaneous5.png
    970.8 KB · Views: 417

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
As Tudor suggests, I would go with a build based around the SR-2.

I have been looking into this and also keen to build my own hackintosh, there is heaps of support around SR-2 build systems.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Ok, on Tonymac, I see the list of cards 'natively compatible' with Lion

So, do they give you EFI boot screens ????

I am running Lion without issues on my MP and would like to bump my GPU up without over-investing in the machine....

So, does that mean that these cards will all work plug n play, with EFI boot screen???
(I have multiple OS installs in the machine on separate drives and want bootable access)

Basically I just need a better card for FCPX

(But a genuine Apple 5770 is $230, and a 5870 is $440, either of which are a fairly steep investment in a 1,1 and an old card)

Last edited:

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
PC cards will not give bootscreen on a Mac unless flashed.

You don't need bootscreen to select startup disk.

System Preferences -> Startup disk

Tonymac is a hackintosh resource. You don't need to worry about bootscreens on hackintosh since PC's does not run EFI.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Example only
2 x5680s ---------------------------------------------------$3,000
2 CORSAIR H80 ----------------------------------------------210
Evga sr2 Mobo -----------------------------------------------530
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold1200W PSU --------------250
DIAMOND 7970PE53G Radeon HD 7970 3GB---------------450
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z-48 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 PC3 14900-----450
Dual 240GB OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI Express SSD----1020
OSes-----------------------------------------------------------220
Total~ $6130 w/o case, tax and shipping

Below is an old pic showing the system report page of FrankMacWinTosh (aka FrankHacWinTosh) [and now known as WolfPack1] while it was running (all at the same time - low scores to prove it) (1) CPUTest, (2) Maya [rendering an HD animation at the rate of 1-3 seconds per frame], (3) Cinebench, (4) Geekbench and (5) mCoreTest64 and the results thereof. Non-abused Cinebench and Geekbench scores -> sig.

Like I said.... that is equivalent to a smaller server farm from a few generations back:D. I'd personally run Windows over a Hackintosh if it was work stuff, but hackintoshing would be a fun hobby.

Rob187

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
I'm really interested to build the same Hack. But Tutor how hard is it to get the EVGA board fully working? I build a hack before but that was a single Xeon W3680 with a gigybyte board (that was easy). I'm afraid i spend all this money and can get it work 100% because i don't have the technical knowledge . Is there a sort of guide, tutorial how to make it right?

Tutor

macrumors 65816
What is the price of self-sufficiency?

I'm really interested to build the same Hack. But Tutor how hard is it to get the EVGA board fully working? I build a hack before but that was a single Xeon W3680 with a gigybyte board (that was easy). I'm afraid i spend all this money and can get it work 100% because i don't have the technical knowledge .
You're asking the wrong person how hard it is. I been tweaking and building computer systems for over 25 years. So what is easy for me probably wouldn't be easy for most. Its been too long since I was a newbie - I built Heathkit systems in the late 1970's - to make an accurate assessment for anyone else who's not similarly situated. Your willingness to expand your knowledge base, which only you know, is a better barometer. But because you've built a hack before, you certainly are a better judge, after reading my next answer to your second question, than me. Bottom line - I think that you can do it, without regrets.

Is there a sort of guide, tutorial how to make it right?
Guide is here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1333421/. Read entire thread. I also helped someone there increase the performance of his 3680 significantly by attaining a Geekbench 2 (GB2) score in excess of 18,500 - all the while keeping his system within Spec VID - no excessive Vcore. I used the same technique to get a i7 980x based system to attain a GB2 score of 21,824. So you may wish to read the thread in any event. Also, go to EVGA's site and download and read the manual for the SR-X. Then ask me any specific questions you have before you put out any cash. That way you have a preview and a headstart. If that sounds like too much effort to put forth to learn about a system that you might end up spending thousands of your dollars to purchase and your time to build, then another self-built system probably isn't for you because this is just some of the things you'll need to learn. However, it was well worth the effort for me because I ended up with a system with over 1.5 x better performance than that of the top of the line 2012 Mac Pro. Moreover and more importantly, I learned a lot that'll keep me self-sufficient. Choices - Weighing pros and cons.

BTW - I have to often download and read the manuals for others to whom I lend assistance. I'm currently, reading the manual for the EVGA SR-X and I've been reading posts about that motherboard and the Asus dual CPU motherboard for the last 2 months. Learning and Doing: If knowledge is power, doing with knowledge is most powerful. When I stop learning and using what I've learned, please pronounce my shell dead; but my spirit, when once again united completely with its source, shall endure forever.

Last edited:

Rob187

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks for you reply!
I'm not afraid to build this system i build computers before. The Hackintosh i build works like a charm but it was really easy to install with Tonymac's Multibeast and DSDT from his site. My Hack used a gigabyte board and they are known for the easy OSX install.
I'm afraid that if i build my EVGA SR2, OSX is hard to install because i couldn't find a guide or DSDT.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Sounds like another Safari has been chartered

Thanks for you reply!
I'm not afraid to build this system i build computers before. The Hackintosh i build works like a charm but it was really easy to install with Tonymac's Multibeast and DSDT from his site. My Hack used a gigabyte board and they are known for the easy OSX install.
I'm afraid that if i build my EVGA SR2, OSX is hard to install because i couldn't find a guide or DSDT.

Take a look at my systems in the URL in my sig. Gigabyte and EVGA are my hunting weapons of choice.

My mentor d00d has posted the DSDTs (and explained what he did to create them) for the SR-2 here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=233891&st=0 and your maps are (1) his thread, (2) my thread and (3) here you have (a) me, (b) SR2Mac and (c) braindeadmac (and at insanelymac - d00d). So, you got maps and, at least, 4 experienced guides (the current holders of the top GB2 OSX scores with EVGA SR-2s). What more could an explorer request? You, of course, have to supply your time too and your provisions/supplies.

----------

I've got a question: what is that huge project?

Toy Story and Cars are examples. I study the continent - I know where Lusaka, Zambia is, but I haven't had the pleasure of visiting there. It's the beginning of winter there. How cold was the first day of winter this year? We're having extremely hot weather here in the southern U.S. My strawberries ripened in March (usually late April), my peaches and plums ripened in late May and early June (usually July), my grapes ripened last week (usually mid to late July), and my figs are ripening now (usually late July and August).

Last edited:

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Take a look at my systems in the URL in my sig. Gigabyte and EVGA are my hunting weapons of choice.

My mentor d00d has posted the DSDTs (and explained what he did to create them) for the SR-2 here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=233891&st=0 and your maps are (1) his thread, (2) my thread and (3) here you have (a) me, (b) SR2Mac and (c) braindeadmac (and at insanelymac - d00d). So, you got maps and, at least, 4 experienced guides (the current holders of the top GB2 OSX scores with EVGA SR-2s). What more could an explorer request? You, of course, have to supply your time too and your provisions/supplies.

----------

Toy Story and Cars are examples.

Oh my god, you are gonna be doing graphics? Sweet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.