16 Core Mac Pros When?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fabriciom, Mar 6, 2009.

1. fabriciom macrumors 6502

Hello, I've been waiting for a while to purchase a new mac pro. I'm not too sure the current mac pro is a good deal like the previous mac pro. I was wondering when would the next Mac Pro release would be? Assuming that intel releases the 8 core xeon before the next mac pro.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, um...

Not until at least Haswell. In 2012.

3. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

Darn, cant wait that long. When do you figure there will be a price adjustment on the current mac pros?

-Thanks

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Until then we have 8 actual cores and 8 virtual cores right now. :D

LOL!

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

When the new models come out in a year.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Apple doesn't really make a habit of lowering prices for current products. they did that with the iphone and that was a total disaster.

7. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

I remember paying 230€ for my ipod. Its been a while but when I checked pricing it had gone down to like 160€. Its bee like a year or less since I bought it.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If you count virtual cores, Sandy Bridge. It should be out in about 2 years exactly. 32 real cores, who knows. That could be awhile.

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

is your ipod one of the ones that is currently selling?

I guess I don't know if Apple does things differently for its European store.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That isn't a Mac Pro.

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Assuming we're not talking about virtual cores here, perhaps you'd be better off hoping for a 16 core machine rather than a 32 core machine?

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

That too. I was going to say that but i figured he'd try throw my original statement back in my face.

13. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, just realized that's what I wanted to say...

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sandy Bridge, then. Late 2011.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It'll be a while…

What do you need a 16-core machine for anyways?

16. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

Not that I *need* 16 cores. I just want to get a good deal like the previous mac pro was to its predecessors. I don't want to buy today's 8 core to find that next year there is a 16 core with almost double the speed...

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

WELCOME to the computer industry.:confused::eek:

18. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

Another thing is as seeing as how the economy is doing in the US. I see it as an imminent thing that apple will have to lower price to increase sales. Apple is making its money from notebook sales and not mac pros. But, who knows how their next quarter sales will be like.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They have been saying this for years, and then Apple started killing off their education targeted machines basically raising the entry price.

If you want a cheap Mac, there is finally an updated Mini.

Would be nice to see an $1899-1999 Mac Pro -- but not too likely anymore, if they can come down just a bit more we might see this in the special deals section.

But if you hold your breath waiting, I might as well send you an application to the blue man group.

20. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

since apple doesn't make a ton of money off the mac pro, they don't need it to be their cash cow, meaning they don't need to decrease their margins to boost sales. People (more accurately, companies and professionals) who need a mac pro will buy it whether it costs $5000 or $4000... or $6000, or...

21. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I like the logic in your first sentence! Very kewl! ;) Heehe...

I'm afraid I've only heard rumors about the existence of the type of professionals you mention in the second sentence though. No one I know runs a successful business by paying hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands more for a stenciled logo without much or any functionality to show for it.

In fact I would say Apple themselves just recently proved this to be true beyond much doubt at all. They made their 2006, 2007 machines with an attractive price|performance ratio and people (pros and hobbyists) flocked over to Apple. The term "Switched" even became am after-idea marketing theme. In 2008 it was still a deal but much less so and guess what? Yep, Apple machine sales were still good but much less so. Now in 2009 their machines are not much of a deal and the single chip quad is an out-right rip-off. I can guess what machine sales will be like for Apple in 2009. Can you? ;)

Get a used 2008 Octad - or even the 2007 model. The difference in actual performance between the three is not very great at all. Especially not between the '08 and the new '09 models - seriously miniscule!

22. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

most "switchers" didn't take the plunge with a Mac Pro, I would bet. What I mean is that if you need a mac pro, you'll buy it.

23. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

24. 11800506 macrumors 65816

No, actually the difference between the 09 Mac Pro and the 08 Mac Pro is fairly significant. The new Nehalem Xeon processors will blow away the older Xeon processors in performance because of a variety of upgrades in architecture.

25. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Prove it.

I'm a degreed CS professional and Professor. I contend they are not. I'm extremely convinced of it. Early bench marks Apple's marketing, as well as Intels own claims have formed my opinions for me. If Intel is wrong about their own products and you have some proof then I would love to see it! Just hoping and using rhetoric like "blown away" doesn't actually mean much tho.