16 GB 3gs broken after battery replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by froggomad, Apr 22, 2011.

1. froggomad macrumors newbie

Hi All, this is my first post here, so I hope this is the right spot!

I (poorly) replaced my iPhone 3gs's battery today. Upon reassembling the phone, I plugged it in to my PC so that it could begin charging. The battery meter showed 3%, but it wouldn't advance past that and after a few minutes, the phone would reboot.

I thought that something probably wasnt tightened enough so I opened the phone back up, reseated the battery (which was slightly off), and put everything back together, ensuring that all connections were tight. During this process, I lost the 2 long screws that hold down the right side of the communications board.

Now the phone will turn on briefly when plugged in to the wall only, show 100% battery, then reboot.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Find a beater iPhone on ebay that can be used for parts, perhaps? It sounds like you may be hosed otherwise.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Take it to a qualified repair shop before you do any more damage.

4. froggomad, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

froggomad thread starter macrumors newbie

Seeing as how the phone is several years old, and is not functioning properly, I would like to attempt to break... er I mean fix it one more time before I throw in the towel. I honestly don't care if its repairable or not. Does anybody have anything useful that I can try???

Thanks!

Edit:

The problem was the battery. I'm really surprised that nobody suggested that...

Now the antenna isn't working, but I'm pretty sure that I bent the gold pin next to the do not remove screw away from the case. However, bending it back to where it is touching the silver bezel around the case makes no difference. I also read that the headphone jack serves as part of the antenna, and that screw was missing, but I've since located and installed it with no change to the antenna strength. I did have 1 bar for about 5 seconds after initially installing the SIM card, but I have since seen nothing but "No Service".