16 GB iPad. Has anyone regretted it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by econoar, Mar 10, 2011.

1. econoar macrumors regular

I currently have a 32GB Wi-Fi iPad 1. I'm going to switch to a 3G version for the iPad 2, but I'm driving myself crazy trying to pick between the 16GB and 32GB models.

I have a 32GB iPhone 4 that I store all of my music on. I cycle out my movies and TV shows pretty fast on my 32GB so storage really hasn't been an issue. I'm pretty convinced that I could get away with the 16GB, especially with the 3G on it, but I realize it comes with only 14GB of usable space, and I was just looking for opinions from current 16GB owners.

Thanks!

2. Davichi macrumors 6502

If you put all of your music in, then you need to go for 64GB ipad.

I put only 3GB music and 5 GB video, I only had memory with like 4 GB left.

16GB is not enough unless you can organize the music and video well.

3. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Not one minute. Do it. It's very manageable.

Music takes up most of the space.

4. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I actually regretted buying the 32gb...it was too much. I'll be picking up the 16gb tomorrow. Like you said, my iphone 4 handles the majority of my media, so extra space in the ipad seems kinda useless.

5. fairoasis macrumors member

I have the 32GiPad 1 and have only used around 9G of my available space. I keep all my music on my iPod and movies are so easy to put on and take off, I see no reason to clutter things up on a daily basis. For this reason, I have pretty well decided to go with the 16G this time.

6. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I will be getting the 16gb. Honestly, I'd be fine with 8gb.
    My entire music collection is 3.39GB.
    I have barely any photos and videos.
    Most of my time will be streaming from netflix via wifi.

Can't wait. :D

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

I can't repeat this enough. I'm in no way a power user and my only games are solitaire and Angry Birds and I have 11.5GB of Apps alone on my iPad. You have no idea of what's coming down the pike with respect to apps (and if games appeal to you, they're likely to get much bigger with the enhanced graphics of the new iPad - Infinity Blade, for example is 548MB). Capping yourself at 16GB may present problems down the road.

8. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

The thing is... At home, I no longer need to have ANY music or video on my ipad. I currently have 10gb free. :)

I have a classic JUST for the car, and can add what I need when traveling. 16gb is perfect now we have 4.3

9. bwthor macrumors member

Since there is no way you can upgrade to more storage after the purchase, and also not knowing what you may do in the future with your iPad, I'd go for the bigger one.

Another thing to keep in mind is future value. 2-4 years down the road if you sell it, what will the 16 vs 32 vs 64 be worth in resale value?

10. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

16GB was plenty for me. Since there is no real downside now with Apple's return policy, no more restocking fee, get the 16 and try it.

If you find you need the space, return it and get the 32 or 64. Don't waste your money.

11. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I have 16gb and I've been fine 90% of the time. I only store comics and my photography portfolio on it, so that's not a huge thing. But if I travel and drop a few movies on to it, then I start running thin on space.

12. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

After 1 year, size really doesn't matter. They're all going for around the same price, give or take $50.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with my 16gb iPad.

I don't really put too much music on it - that's why I have an iPhone. a friend of mine recommended using pandora if I really wanted to listen to music on my iPad.

14. gadgetmonster macrumors regular

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The original iPad I had was 32GB and was too much. I stream music and videos so there's no need for me to load up music on my iPad. I have an iPod loaded with music as well. I just keep photos and apps on my iPad and same with my iPhone 4 and it's 16GB.

16. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I found the 16GB small for my usage and will be getting the 32GB model this time around.

One question is how long do you plan to keep it? Just 1 year till the iPad 3 comes out or will you keep it for years to come? If its for several years I would go 32.

17. kmanmx macrumors 6502

The only thing i would say, is that the new iPad has a HD camera. I know from my IP4 that HD video takes up a good load of space. And if you are going to be using garageband and imovie the space might run a little thin when you've got movie edits on there and stuff.

I did buy the 32gb iPad.. i never remember how much space i used on it though. I am considering the 16gb too, just not sure!

18. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Only ever used 3gb of my 16gb iPad 1. Probably will be the same for iPad 2

19. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

I bought a 16gb wifi and a 64gb 3g 1st gen ipad. I sold the 64gb 3g and will be buying a 16gb 3g ipad 2. Home sharing eliminated most of the need for the additional space...

20. Surely Guest

Surely

No regrets.

I've never struggled with trying to figure out what content to include/exclude.

21. huskerchad macrumors regular

I have a 16GB 3G and will be getting a 32GB WiFi this time around.

I also have the 32GB iPhone 4 and it has all my music. None on the iPad. The space on the iPad is for videos mostly, and that's mostly for trips. I just find 16GB to be not quite enough. Since I can tether through the phone (and even paying for the tethering plan without jailbreaking is a cheaper option than buying the iPad data plan), I'm more than willing to trade 3G for an extra 16GB.

22. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

I'll probably sell it and upgrade when the 3 comes out, just like I did for this one.

23. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Regret would be far too strong a word I think. I've certainly run out of space but that's mainly because I have a lot of apps/vids that I don't use but am too lazy to delete unless I'm forced to! I will probably be upgrading to a 32Gb iPad2 but 16Gb is fine really (especially if you store most of your media on a server and stream it to the iPad).

24. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

I regret getting the 3G model. I got it just in case I ever wanted to use data, but ever where I went had wifi and then I eventually got a cell phone with mobile hotspot

25. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

I take an hour train ride into work, so I actually regret NOT having the 3G. It will be very big for me.