16 GB Last gen or 8GB Current Gen iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NickElls, Mar 9, 2009.

1. NickElls macrumors 6502

NickElls

Hello,

A few months ago my 1st gen 8 GB iPod Touch had an unfortunate accident with a washing machine. I recently decided to replace it.

My question is: Do you think its a better idea to get the old 16 GB iPod or the new 8 GB iPod? (The newer 16 GB is somewhat out of my price range.) Are the changes made in the 2G enough to justify the lack of space?

I'm leaning towards the 1G 16 gb because I already have a case for it, and it has more space.

Opinions?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It really comes down to how much space you need...

3. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

if i were you id get the touch 8 gig. the 2nd gen is waaaay better. but then again i dont need space cause i watch videos on my apple tv

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

2nd Generation for certain. Nothing to do with space, everything to do with power. I read an article exclaiming that everyone should completely abandon any thought of the first generation touch if they ever wish to play games from the app store. The second generation has a much more capable processor.

And really, the price isn't that big of a difference. Even if you don't think you will play a game, rethink, you will want the capability to if you ever try even one. It makes the iPod touch much more fun. And there are so many great games for $.99. For less than a buck, you can play a really cool game.

There's my two cents. Based on an article I read about the original. I honestly don't have either, as I have the iPhone 3G. But I think the second generation iPod Touch is supposed to be even better than the iPhone 3G for games.

5. heesey1010 macrumors member

I can partially concur with the above statements. I have an iPod touch 2nd gen right now and the addition of both a speaker AND a faster processor make a world of difference. I played on an iPod touch not too long ago that was a 1st gen and it was just wicked slow, almost to the point of unplayable.

Simply put, the less space is worth it. You can always manage your iPod with the less space.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Er, I'd say it comes down more to what you use your iPod for and how much you are willing to spend. If you use it primarily to listen to music, then I don't think the changes from 1st to 2nd gen are worth halving the storage space and paying more.

7. RedRiver macrumors newbie

I have a 8Gb 1st Gen and I have had NO speed issues what's so-ever with the following: BIA, Star Wars Unleashed, Hero of Sparta, Fastlane, RF09, SlotZ.
    I would be interested to know what games you are refering to.

A speaker would be nice but so would extra space!

8. Ejg94 macrumors newbie

it depends entirely on what floats your boat...
    Do you want the simplicity of speakers and volume buttons (very helpful)
    or are you a person who prefers to watch things by yourself and need space for movies and music???
    I have a 32gb 2nd gen and so I can't comment on space but a friend of mine with the 8gb 1st gen... we did a test and in everything apart from the mail app, mine was faster, it may be because mine is newer but i don't know
    Also with the dev team, both can be jailbroken (granted 1g is easier)
    so really its only down to personal preference and price, are the buttons and speakers and general nicer aesthetics worth it, or is the brute space worth it???
    But i would say 2g any day, much nicer to hold and don't feel as flimsy as an 8gb and i feel the touch screen is brighter and more responsive