16 gb vs 32 gb

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mitch2742, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Mitch2742, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Mitch2742 macrumors member

I can only imagine that the regulars' heads explode before the launch of a new Apple product because of all the threads that suddenly pop up, so my apologies.

I plan on ordering my first iPad tomorrow (assuming that's an option so soon after the announcement) and can't decide whether or not I should go 16 GB or 32 GB. I have a 16 gig iPhone which isn't enough room but only because I use it at my primary music source too. I can't imagine putting much music on an iPad, so I'm not sure the 16 gig will be a problem, but I do plan on putting some television shows and movies on it. Keeping in mind the average size of videos and apps, do you think I should go with the 16 gig or 32 gig? Once again, I am out of room on my iPhone but that's mainly due to all my music. To those that own a 16 gig iPad--is it enough?

The biggest benefit of me going with the 16 gig iPad would be that I'd have enough money to buy a case.

I understand this is a question that can't definitively be answered but I thought I'd ask for some opinions. Thanks.

2. TheXIIIth macrumors member

Whenever possible.....go mid-range - (32GB) more content storage / higher resale value.

3. leethefilmer macrumors member

leethefilmer

32GB.

I have a 16GB and wish I got the 32GB. I have about a 1GB of music and another 1GB in video and all my space is almost taken up. I have like 50 apps though. :D

I guess it all depends on what you'll use it for.

Edit: I forgot the name of the app (I think "Rage"), but it took up 1GB alone. That's already about 1/15 of the space. :(

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Well I am hoping that the sizes shift up to 32gb, 64gb, and 128gb.

Then I will snag 32gb in a heartbeat. Now I have a 32gb iPhone 4 and I want to just get the basic $500 model but I really don't think I can buy an iPad with less memory than my phone... just seems wrong.

5. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

Go for 32, at least

I picked up the 16 because I wasn't sure how much I'd use the iPad except I knew that photos would be a big deal. With about 20 apps, no music or videos I can only hold 70% of my 15,000 photos. 32 should be enough for all of my photos into the next few years plus a few videos when I can't stream from Netflix.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I have 14 gigs of music I have on my iPhone, so I would certainly want 32gigs...

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Do we know if there will be a 16GB version (rhetorical)? Could be that 32GB is the low end and 128GB high end.;) Could also be 16GB, 32GB 64GB and 128GB meaning no true mid.:eek:

8. stev3n macrumors 6502

I would go with the 32gb. That way you can store your 16 gigs of music and 16 more gigs of other stuff. If you get the 16gb you might regret not buying the 32.

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    yes and then each of them will have a 3G version as well! And each one will also have the optional "pro" upgrade which includes a retina display and SD slot.

That leaves only 16 iPad 2's plus of course all the old models which Apple will keep and discount $100 brining the total to 22 different models. :p

If anything Apple is going to reduce the number of models available to 4. They could do this by either eliminating the middle size or eliminating the 2 least selling models, whatever those may be.

10. Evmanw macrumors regular

Evmanw

definitely 32gb. I know someone with a 16gb and he has a couple gb (about 3-4gb) of music and a bunch of apps. Then when he wants to put some video's on it, he can't put many. I used to have a 32 gb iPod Touch, but when i went to an iPhone, i downgraded to 16 gb. Now, almost a year later, I wish I had those 32 gb back

11. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

It's almost a certainty the 16GB will disappear and 32GB will become the baseline model, so I wouldnt worry about it.

12. Davichi macrumors 6502

499 dollars tablet with 32GB storage?

I wonder why Motorola is pricing their wi-fi tablet 32GB for 599 dollars the... it should be 499 dollars.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Almost a certainty"?? Let's just stick with "possibly."

14. Mitch2742 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll go with the 32 gig, which is what I was leaning towards anyway.

If Apple does drop the 16 gig, do you think the 32 gig will stay at 599 or take the 16 gig's place?

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So take the music off your iPhone and add the TV shows. Is 16GB enough for that?

16. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I debated the same thing after the iPad launch and I chose the 32 GB model. I have 10 GBs+ of music, few photos and no videos or movies. Actually, you only have around 29 GBs to work with, as the os and other tid bits utilize 3 GBs or so.

Therefore, the 32 GB model should be sufficient for your needs, since you will not use the iPad for music. However, how many movies, TV shows, and videos do you want on your iPad? Maybe you should consider the 64 GB model, because you may chose to listen to music after your purchase. Obviously, that is up to you. Happy Shopping!

17. Mitch2742 thread starter macrumors member

The 64 gig is out of the question, haha. As you said, the 32 gig will likely be sufficient. I doubt I'll keep many movies on it (maybe one or two at a time) since I have a Netflix account and will mostly watch movies through that app. I'll probably keep a season of a television show at a time (or half a season at a time), so that probably won't be a problem either.

I am now set on the 32 gig.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

While all is pure speculation at this time, I think the safest of all bets is there WILL be a $499 price point. This is Apple's ace-in-the-hole offering one of the (if not the) lowest price pont for a tablet with the "Apple tax" included.

19. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I didn't read everyone elses response...but i originally purchased a 16 and ended up selling it for a 32.

A 16 gb just isn't enough for me. i store movies and photos on it and 16gb will be ran through pretty easily. the 32 is a very nice size.

20. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I know how you feel. I own the 32GB model and it only has 3GB's left. Realistically I'd expect My iPad to hold a lot more content so I'll be forced to get the 64. It would be awesome if they could drop the 16 and introduce a 128 with the same price-points as they have now.

21. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

At home or on the go?

IT may depend on how much you are lugging your iPad around. 99 percent of the time I am using mine at home on the couch or in the tub (a ziploc freezer bag is an awesome waterproof case) and I stream all my videos from my pc to my iPad. Mainly save my gbs for apps...

22. iDabble macrumors regular

i have a 16 and it's been perfect for me. i have like 35 gb of music, but i keep barely any of it on my ipad. i just use the remote app for my macbook and leave that plugged into the good speakers.

if you don't plan on putting a ton of music on yours then 16 gb is plenty. i'll be getting whatever the base model is for the ipad2 as well.

23. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

^^ realistically you're right. Typically we don't always need all our music on the devices. But, for those of us who don't like to sync our devices just to transfer some music for easy listening away from the homestead, it's nice to have your library at hand.

I feel this thread will be mute after tomorrows release. I'll be suprised if they still offer a 16GB model. I'm quite sure they will go to a 128Gb/64/and 32. But again, this is my own opinion.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

I've been perfectly happy with the 16GB, and if there is a 16GB iPad 2, I'll get that as well (as long as there is a significant enough upgrade to satisfy me, of course).