16 Gig Iphone 2.0 for $225

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timimbo85, Jul 26, 2008.

1. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

So my buddy got the hook up with the 3G and is wanting to get rid of his old phone. It's 3 months old and 16 gig, and for $225 why would I pass it up. ATT said it would be 400 + for me to get the new iphone, I say F that.

Since I am already ATT do I just put in my sim and go about my day or does it need to be cracked?

Also, will I be getting access to the internet via edge even though I do not have a internet plan on my phone now?

And last. I was thinking, since there is a year warranty on the phone, and its 3 months old, if it "breaks" and I take it into apple, do you think they will replace it with 3g?

Thanks everyone.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

If you are wanting to buy an iPhone, whether it be first generation or 3G, you will have to change your rate plan through iTunes or in store. Unless you go about unlocking it.

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

You'll need to unlock it if you want to use your existing sim card

no

They have plenty of refurbished ones to use as replacements

4. View macrumors regular

That's a really good deal by the way.
    I just sold my year old 1st gen iPhone (8GB) on ebay for $415...

5. iphonematt Guest

Just walk into any AT&T store and ask for a SIM card to put in an iPhone you bought. When i did that for my mom, they gave it to me for free. Just put the SIM in the iPhone and plug the phone into iTunes.

6. l3lack J4ck macrumors member

why dont u buy it, upgrade your acccount, then you can buy the 3g at the lower price? then sell the 1st gen iphone for cash or on ebay etc.

so you could buy iphone for 225, then buy the 3g for 299. thats 524. then you can sell the iphone for minimum 225 and have your 3g for the normal price? as long as you have the iphone on your account, it'll let you "upgrade"

7. Cask Guest

I would also buy it, upgrade your account and then eBay it at 400 at least if it is in good shape. I got 600 for my original 16 gb model. You could probably end up paying less for the iPhone 3g

8. timimbo85 thread starter macrumors regular

timimbo85

great! that is good to read, I am definitely going to go this route.

9. aneftp macrumors 601

I don't think they would let you do this. I tried this on my wife's line but they wouldn't sell me the phone at that price. Plus I think it's the 8GB for 399 (for early upgrade) and 499 for the early upgrade price.

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Only if you don't want to sign up for the iPhone rate plan. Otherwise, pop in your existing AT&T SIM and activate through iTunes. Just takes a couple minutes.

Yes, but without the plan data will be expensive.

11. aosman macrumors 6502

If you are on AT&T already, and you want to use the EDGE, maybe you should go for the contract price through itunes. The Data package is not that expensive ($20 unlimited with 200 sms msgs). If not, you will need to jailbreak, ect.