16 gig made better than 8 gig

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eciytnim, Jul 24, 2008.

1. eciytnim macrumors member

I currently have an 8 gig iphone, but I'm debating whether or not to return it in favor for a 16 gig one. My friend has a 16 gig one and it seems as though the construction is better with his. Mine has a light leak on the left side, my volume buttons shake audibly, and mine doesn't seem as bright as his. It seems just over all the 16 is made better. Anyone else think this as well? and is it possible to go and get a 16 gig even though I've had my 8 since the 12th? Will I just have to pay the extra 100 dollars or what will happen?

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

It's all the luck of the draw. They're all the same quality, just some have dust in them, some have dead pixels, some have scratched chrome, some have faulty buttons and some have a light leak (which is easily fixable in most cases).

16GB are identical to 8GB except for the label on the back and 8GB more memory inside.

3. eciytnim thread starter macrumors member

Well is it more likely that 16 gigs are better constructed? Or is it 100 percent random?

4. cantankerously macrumors regular

My release day 16gb white is flawless. No loose buttons, gasket between glass/ bezel, no cracks, no negitive-black, and no dead pixels.

Lucky me!

5. slicecom macrumors 68020

100% random. They're all made in the same factories, by the same sloppy and aparently very dusty people.

6. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Um, 2 phones isn't what I'd call a representative sample!

I'm sure they're all random.

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

100% random. There are 100s of stories of white 16Gb's getting cracks, or 16GB blacks having the ringer switch break, having seams at the edge of the chrome and plastic, etc.

When things are mass produced there are going to be flaws every so often.

8. radiotowers macrumors member

It's either random, or varies according to build date, because I had exactly the opposite experience. Starting with a 16 GB (white) that had light leaks and rough edges, etc. and went to an 8 GB that's flawless so far.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Random I would say.

The only difference is the memory (and the case color for the 16GB model). The iPhone has one memory slot (iPod Touch has 2). So they either put a 8GB or 16GB chip in the slot.

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I don't know, I'm smarter than this one girl I know.

I've deduced that all men are smarter than women.

See! Two is all you need for a sample size :D

And I think it's completely random. :D

11. darkflounder macrumors regular

My 8GB is near perfect. The only possible defect is a bit of a sharp edge on the sleep button.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i had a strange problem with my 16gig white
    it was perfect for the first few weeks
    but then all of the sudden the home button got like jammed somehow and wouldnt work
    probably caused by me diving for the ball while playing volleyball with it in my pocket (i know so stupid)

but apple just replaced it no questions asked
    they didnt have any replacement phones so they actually pulled a brand new one straight outta the box

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Don't know about that. Didn't see or hear about any difference from those I know with 8/16 gig phones

14. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I have had my iPhone 3G replaced once already for sharp/chipped bezel, plastic bubble in the back housing, and large spaces between the glass and bezel.

My new phone has loose volume buttons and loose glass on top. The glass sticks out about 1mm from the bezel and I can press it to make it flush, but it pops back out.

Worth another exchange?

15. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I have an 8 and my brother a 16, they were both purchased at AT&T and are visually 100% perfect..

Whether or not everything is copasetic on the inside, who knows..

16. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I think it's random, not based on 16GB v. 8GB.

I was lucky and my 8GB is virtually flawless.