Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As was rumored over a month ago, Apple's newly announced 16-inch MacBook Pro includes a 96W USB-C power adapter in the box.

96w-usb-c-power-adapter-apple-800x507.jpg

The previous 15-inch MacBook Pro included an 87W USB-C power adapter in the box.

Apple says the 16-inch MacBook Pro uses the "most advanced thermal architecture ever in a Mac notebook" to enable the system to run at higher power for sustained periods of time. The notebook also features a redesigned fan with a larger impeller, extended blades, and bigger vents for a 28 percent increase in airflow.

Apple adds that the 16-inch MacBook Pro can ultimately sustain up to 12 more watts during intensive workloads than the previous 15-inch model.

The new 96W USB-C Power Adapter is also sold separately on Apple.com for $79.

Article Link: 16-Inch MacBook Pro Includes 96W USB-C Power Adapter in Box, Available Separately for $79

Last edited:

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I apologize for what is probably a dumb question... Would this charge my 2018 MacBook Air faster than its stock charger which (I believe) is 30W? Or would this cause damage to the battery because it's overpowered? Technical electricity facts are not my strong suit...

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
I am dissapointed with the size of the adapter. It was great 10 years ago. Now everyone moved to GaN power bricks that are fraction of the size and weight. It is missed opportunity to announce the new form factor.

Reactions: DogHouseDub

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Serious question - are Apple adapters more reliable than smaller USB C chargers at similar specs (e.g. Anker)?

P.S. So happy that Apple finally made a Macbook *Pro*. The 2016-2019 MBPs had me switch to an iMac + 13" MBP setup and couldn't be happier at the moment.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I apologize for what is probably a dumb question... Would this charge my 2018 MacBook Air faster than its stock charger which (I believe) is 30W? Or would this cause damage to the battery because it's overpowered? Technical electricity facts are not my strong suit...

Not a dumb question, you can use a higher wattage charger with out any problems on a machine that doesn't need it. It won't charge faster though, but if you use a lower wattage charger with a machine that needs a higher wattage, it will either charge very slowly or not at all.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Not a dumb question, you can use a higher wattage charger with out any problems on a machine that doesn't need it. It won't charge faster though, but if you use a lower wattage charger with a machine that needs a higher wattage, it will either charge very slowly or not at all.
Thanks!

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
With the size increasing, I'm wondering if we're getting close to the point where this adapter, when plugged directly into a wall socket, will tend to work itself out of the socket, simply from gravity and a little jiggling on the cord (not tugging, just random motion).

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
So, what about people with the Ultrafine 5K display that outputs 86W of power. I currently charge my MBP 15'' like that. If I switch, will the display still be able to charge the. MPB 16'', albeit slowly?
I'm just aware that with the 13'' charger, in some cases my current 15'' basically still uses more power than the 13'' charger can deliver ?

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
Why not max out the USB-C power delivery spec while they were at it? 100w. So close... it’s already gonna power throttle under full load and start eating off the battery because the power supply can’t keep up.

Reactions: userjohn

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
So, what about people with the Ultrafine 5K display that outputs 86W of power. I currently charge my MBP 15'' like that. If I switch, will the display still be able to charge the. MPB 16'', albeit slowly?
I'm just aware that with the 13'' charger, in some cases my current 15'' basically still uses more power than the 13'' charger can deliver ?

It'll work, but it may have some issues at maximum performance (ie, the battery will drain a little if you max out the CPU and GPU at once). Most recommendable to use the included power adapter under those circumstances (and you can still plug in the display).
[automerge]1573666950[/automerge]
Serious question - are Apple adapters more reliable than smaller USB C chargers at similar specs (e.g. Anker)?

Apple's power adapters are ok. I think you typically couldn't find a higher than 60 watt power adapter with USB-C anyway outside of Apple, so Apple tended to be the better option with 15 inch Macbook Pros. There are now a few that are doing up to 100 watts, mostly Kickstarters, I did a few days ago join a Kickstarter for a 100 watt 4 USB port adapter (called Hyperjuice). Apple's not using GaN so obviously they have some bulky adapters compared to the new GaN ones (like the one I mentioned). Main thing against Apple now is that they're 1 port only, while it is nice to charge all your devices with one port, it's annoying to have to do it serially, or plug in only a few into the Macbook but then you have no ports left. So basically it's better to go outside of Apple for a multiport charger, but Apple is okay if you don't care about that and single port is acceptable.

Last edited:

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Does it come with the extension? That’s the only way I use mine.
I realized long ago (at a conference) that it's less elegant, but far more practical, to just carry a standard $5 extension cord. Most of the 2-pronged cords have 3 outlets on the end, and if you're somewhere that outlets are scarce, you can offer to share the extension with someone, so you can both charge.

Reactions: chabig

rboy505

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2012
The cords wear down and fray before the actual brick starts to fry itself

Apple MBP charger cords wear down and fray into non-functioning at a rate so much faster than any third party or other laptop manufacturers’ that it’s ridiculous. I’ve never owned a MBP (and I’ve owned many) that didn’t need a new charger in two or three years, and some replaced a second time, purely due to the same thing: the cord disintegrating.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Apple MBP charger cords wear down and fray into non-functioning at a rate so much faster than any third party or other laptop manufacturers’ that it’s ridiculous. I’ve never owned a MBP (and I’ve owned many) that didn’t need a new charger in two or three years, and some replaced a second time, purely due to the same thing: the cord disintegrating.
Stop using it as a jump rope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.