16-Inch MBP Getting Hot with 22-Inch LG Ultrafine

CLASSIC MUSCLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I have the new 16-inch MBP and it stays very cool on/off factory charger but gets very hot when it's connected to the LG Ultrafine. It doesn't lock up or stop, but it still gets pretty hot. I just think it's weird a simple external monitor gets this powerhouse computer this hot? The LG Ultrafine I have is the older one, with (1) powered USB-C only, it is not the new 23.7inch one with the (2) Thunderbolt 3's.

Does anyone think the newer LG's with Thunrderbolt 3's would make the MBP run cooler? I just hate feeling like my laptop is getting so overheated when simply connected to a display. It even stays a little hot when the displays are off and it's connected to the LG. Seems bad for the MBP pro long-term to stay hot all the time?

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
I have the new 16-inch MBP and it stays very cool on/off factory charger but gets very hot when it's connected to the LG Ultrafine. It doesn't lock up or stop, but it still gets pretty hot. I just think it's weird a simple external monitor gets this powerhouse computer this hot? The LG Ultrafine I have is the older one, with (1) powered USB-C only, it is not the new 23.7inch one with the (2) Thunderbolt 3's.

Does anyone think the newer LG's with Thunrderbolt 3's would make the MBP run cooler? I just hate feeling like my laptop is getting so overheated when simply connected to a display. It even stays a little hot when the displays are off and it's connected to the LG. Seems bad for the MBP pro long-term to stay hot all the time?
It's hot because using the external display causes the faster discrete GPU to run continuously. This is normal.

CLASSIC MUSCLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Define "hot"
I don't have the exact temps, but it gets pretty hot to the touch in the center by the screen, up above the Touch Bar. I just would think a machine with these "specs" could handle powering an external display without appearing to work so hard.

pneves1975

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2018
Portugal
"With great power comes great power (consumption)".

dGPU kicks in when connected to external monitor. Hence some people prefer the compromise of a smaller screen on the 13" but with much lower temps/consumption than 15/16 machines.