16 iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by diametric, Jul 15, 2008.

1. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

Apparently, since I'm 16, yet am completely capable of affording the iPhone (@ 288$AU) and the plan that comes with it, I can't buy and sign up for an iPhone.

I live in Sydney and wanted to sign up with Optus, but minors arent allowed to have contracts in their name. My brother has terrible credit, my mother is disabled and so cant get out (despite having good credit) and my father doesnt live with me, so wrong address and, he prolly won't be willing to leave work and come to the city to buy an iPhone, since the majority of the local stores are reporting 3-4 week backlogs.

Aggh!

Please someone tell me there is a solution. I've already got my iPod touch ready to be sold.

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

3. wronski macrumors 6502

Not like you can sign a contract to get any other phone; irrelevant whether or not you're trying to get the iPhone, relevant that you're too young to sign a contract.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Exactly. Unfortunately, its not legal for a minor to enter into this kind of contract. I can't really think of anything else you can do unless they eventually create an online ordering option.

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Maybe you can get your Mom to call AT&T and get something worked out? Worth a try!

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    For some reason I doubt at&t will be able to do anything for him considering he lives in sydney... hmm... my guess would be to try optus or vodafone.

does telstra carry the iphone? I thought i remembered their name in the initial whispers about the iphone but i haven't heard much in a while.

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Haha oops, my mind is stuck in US phones mode. But you know what I mean.

8. diametric thread starter macrumors regular

diametric

Yeah, all three are carrying the iPhone. However, Optus has the most diverse and value-for-money plans. The data plans on Telstra are practically extortion. And Vodafone's lowest plan is a bit too expensive for me.

None of this really matters anymore :(

9. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

You mean Optus...

But anyway, I don't think that would work, since someone has to sign the contract at the store. You also need to provide a few other things to Optus before you can sign the contract.

10. diametric thread starter macrumors regular

diametric

Well, I was planning to get it from the Apple Store in Sydney, and my brother would be a-okay for that IF they didn't do credit checks. He's not very good with debt, on the other hand, I've been covering my $70 internet bill for over 2 years now.

11. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

can you order online??? or have your dad do it??

12. diametric thread starter macrumors regular

diametric

Nop, I'm pretty sure nowhere in the world is the iPhone being sold online. And, my dad won't be willing to go into the city for a PHONE, he'd prolly belt me if I asked (plus, diff. address means I'd have to go pick up the bill from him). And the local Optus stores are reporting a waiting time of a month or so.