'16 MacBook Pro battery bulge upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yr Blues, May 30, 2018.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I have the battery bulge effecting my trackpad. I can have a free fix, but can I get an upgrade for the Touch Bar version? How much would it cost?

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

You may be offered a free fix. Anything more, you would need to ask Apple. Pretty sure they will refuse, but they will help you out by repairing the one you have. That would likely be the deal you get.
    But, get the straight answer from Apple.
    (This site cannot answer for Apple)

3. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

cool thanks

now i have to figure out how to secure wipe the SSD harddrive. it's full of important client data

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

macOS system does not support the old multi-pass erase on SSDs.
    I think there is third-party software that will do that extended format process, even on SSDs, but I have not searched for that kind of utility (not sure)
    One method that some use:
    Turn on FileVault, and let that finish encrypting your drive. (If FlleVault is already turned on, just leave it as is.)
    Format the drive, while still encrypted, then reinstall macOS.
    The drive was encrypted, so any attempt to recover data from the erased drive will first encounter that scrambled data, and will need something like NSA level work to do anything practical with the old data.
    Installing macOS on top of that encrypted, then erased volume would (again) add to the difficulty of ever retrieving anything, let alone specific kinds of data.

5. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Interesting workaround. Thanks!

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

No one here can answer your questions.

My advice: "For free", you'd best take whatever replacement they offer with a BIG smile on your face!