Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2021
I am thinking of getting a refurb M3 Pro MacBook Pro, I’ll use it for general tasks, hopefully setup an eBay trading business on it, but I’d also like to play some games on it. Now I’m not talking latest gen stuff or many games, the ones I would want to play in it really are Diablo 4, Aliens Dark Descent, Starcraft 2 campaign, Iron Harvest 1920, MarZ Tactical Defense, all on Steam. Can it handle all those games? With 30FPS at least?
I have consoles for everything else.

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Diablo IV has no Mac version, although I am running the Windows version on my M2 Max Mac via Crossover. For the rest of the apps on your list, you would need to verify that a) there are Mac versions available of Steam and b) those Mac versions are not 32-bit apps.

HoxtonBridge

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2024
Diablo IV has no Mac version, although I am running the Windows version on my M2 Max Mac via Crossover. For the rest of the apps on your list, you would need to verify that a) there are Mac versions available of Steam and b) those Mac versions are not 32-bit apps.
Assuming they are 64-bit iterations, would they likely run?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2021
I have an other question which is will the 14” M3 Max thermo throttle if playing these games? if it’s the 14 core CPU 30 core GPU version?

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
The subreddit r/macgaming/ has been very active since the Game Porting Tool Kit 2.0 beta was dropped at WWDC. That is a great place to go look for the latest tricks and workarounds to get games working with the betas. People have patched Crossover with the new libraries and all sorts of things.

As far as I understand the current status, AVX/AVX2 support are being built into Rosetta2, but aren't live yet in MacOS 15 Sequoia Beta 1. We'll need to wait for a later beta before we get those goodies. Whisky and Crossover will be updated to support them by the time they're live in the OS.

If you're worried about heat, go to Amazon Warehouse (just search DuckDuckGo for Amazon Warehouse USA or where you're from). They have laptop cooling pads that are in great like new condition for $15 - $25. I would avoid the RGB ones, but that's just me. They will blow air onto the bottom of the laptop while keeping it slightly elevated. That will help the heat a lot. Just feel the bottom of your laptop when it's running full out. The extra air blowing against the case will remove a considerable amount of heat.

If you're interested in a specific game, the easiest way to get started is to check how well the application is supported in Crossover. Check here or here and search for the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.