'16 MBP 13" NT + LG4k + Business Use

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwandrews, Nov 18, 2016.

1. kwandrews, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

kwandrews macrumors 6502

The performance of the base "escape edition" 2016 MBP has been suspect for me regarding its use with Lightroom. However, as a stand alone, I had zero issues (other than some touch pad 3 finger drag things) when using it during my work day for business.

I normally have open and running Outlook, Xcel, Skype for Business, Safari (a few tabs) and maybe a Preview PDF for contact reviews, quotes, etc. No issues without a monitor, even when actively in a Skype video conference (which I do for about 2-3 hours per day).

With the LG 4K this is what I have found today when all of the above are open AND a video Skype is in progress (about 25-35% of my day): (see screenshots for stats)
    1. The fans kick on, sounds like a jet ready for take off of an aircraft carrier, physically very hot. I do have the screen open but up on an aluminum platform that is designed for cooling as well. I had to plug in an external webcam with a mic as the comments I got re: audio were things like "is there a hurricane there?" and "wow, what's the noise?!"
    2. Moving anything on screen is jittery and sometimes hangs...moving a window takes a lot longer than it should.
    3. Brining up Outlook from a minimized state takes about 3-4 seconds and then you can't do anything with it for another 2-3 seconds. Then even deleting an item takes about 1-2 seconds.
    4. The video and audio both start to stutter (and the audio sometimes cuts out/gets choppy)
    5. Even typing in Safari or Outlook is very laggy...just hard to use.
    6. Bottomline: it's overworked and is pretty unusable.
    Based on this, I've come to the conclusion that this base 13" is NOT meant to be used with a 4k monitor for any meaningful work. I haven't dared try it with LR6 or any light video editing. It CAN handle the multitasking with just the internal monitor.

Options: Ditch 4k monitors and/or upgrade to a 15" quad core, as I don't see that a higher spec'd 13" would make a ton of difference. Please chime in if you feel I'm incorrect about the 13's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nickelanddime macrumors member

Thanks. This is exactly what im looking for, but on a base macbook pro 13" with Touch Bar.

3. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

It appears the base without bar cannot handle this at all. I am not so sure a base with the bar could either. The RAM isn't being pegged, so it's somewhat faster RAM won't make a big difference. Sure, the 2.9 Ghz processor will help, but how much? That's the great unknown. I'm sure it would be improved, no doubt, but would it be enough? I tend to think that a quad core is what would make this VERY useable plus the dGPU to drive the 4K.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    Is anyone out there driving a 4k or 5k monitor with a 15" 2016 (with a similar use scenario) that can comment on your experience?

4. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: I just finished another hour long video meeting and had the same items open as before. This time, I put the MBP in clamshell mode. This made a world of difference. The CPU didn't spike like last time and everything was as expected. While this is not a good solution, it does work.

5. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

I'm in a very similar setup (have additional apps open such as slack/one note/Remote Desktop, as well as all the Apple iWork based apps). I'm running on a 15" connected to a 1080p monitor thru a USB-C hub and don't have any issues. If anything, I think my fans are completely stopped based on how quiet this thing is. It feels so under-used I was considering returning it for a 13". Thanks to your detailed post, I think I'll stick with what I've got.

6. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

is yours a 2016 15"???

7. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

Yep, a 2016 2.9/1TB/R460 system. I've only had it since Monday, but surprisingly haven't heard the fans once.

8. nickelanddime macrumors member

NIce shareef, I opened up the base 13" with TB, opened up a few tabs and Lightroom, I was already using 7gb of ram. I guess im considered a 'power user'(??!?!). I would recommend against getting the 8gb one, unless you truly browse the internet (with one tab). As far as Lightroom went, I did not see any significant lag while editing the only picture I tried loading. I don't know how it will perform when the library contains thousands of pictures.

I ordered a store pickup of the 15", Ill get that one tomorrow. Im sure the 15" will be a great product.

9. jerryk macrumors 68030

I think it is the 4K monitor. That requires pushing a lot of bits. Can you borrow a 1920 X 1200 or similar monitor and see how that works, especially with Skype?

10. Ph.D. macrumors 6502

Do the fans come on in clamshell mode?

11. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

The only device I have with a higher resolution is my Thunderbolt Display at work, but I'm waiting on a TB3 to TB2 adapter from work to test that. I'll be ordering the LG 5K for my home when it's available next month. I'd of gone with the 4K model if it wasn't for the pathetic USB 2.0 speeds on the ports on the back of the display.

12. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

They did not
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    I sold my TB monitor, but did use it with the adapter without any issues at 2456x1440 before it was shipped out.

13. Ph.D. macrumors 6502

14. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

So I just want some clarification on this. In clamshell mode, aside from the fans not kicking on and the unit getting really hot, was performance similar (or the same) as it was without using an external monitor at all? Thanks.

15. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, in clamshell the performance was much better overall. I have since exchanged the 13" for a 15" so I can't run anymore tests. I also returned the 4k monitor since it won't power the 15" (too bad, it's a nice little 4k monitor).

16. Yoshimura macrumors regular

Considering it can simultaneously support the built-in display and two external 4k displays at 60Hz, this is strange....

17. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, very strange, but I tried it several times. Keep in mind, this was with the BASE of the base models, the non-touch bar version with the much slower CPU, lower intel graphics and slower RAM.