Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sxlx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2023
I'm curious about how common coil-whine is in laptops and what causes it. My Macbook Pro M2 Max produces a significant coil-whine noise, especially when the GPU is in use. I've noticed that deleting/stopping the use of AlDente has decreased the level of noise, but it is still present. It appears using AlDente in conjunction with other GPU-intensive applications has an even greater impact on the level of noise. This is likely due to the software's manipulation/modification of the battery charging control-override, which can affect the power draw and voltage regulation of the GPU.

While this may be a contributing factor to the level of coil-whine produced by my device, it is still unclear whether this is a common issue across other laptops with similar software configurations. Any insights or experiences others may have with this specific issue would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if it's normal for laptops to have coil-whine, and if I should consider requesting an exchange for my device. I've compared my Macbook to a 14" model, which had less noticeable coil-whine during benchmark stress tests, and the 16" model produced noise even during tasks like streaming 4k videos on YouTube.

I am currently considering whether to exchange or return my Macbook Pro M2 Max, given the significant coil-whine noise it produces when using the GPU. However, this is a custom configuration that may take several weeks to arrive, so I am hesitant to go through with the exchange process if it is not necessary.

I would appreciate any advice or input from those who have experienced similar issues with coil-whine and whether they ultimately chose to exchange or keep their device. Additionally, any recommendations on how to reduce or eliminate the noise without having to exchange the device would also be helpful.

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
There is nothing you can do to eliminate coil whine other than perhaps decrease cpu usage but that’s ridiculous. It’s inherent in your hardware. With that being said I can’t hear any in my 14” MBP M1 Max

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My Surface Book 2 had some coil whine when the dGPU was active. It was pretty annoying but fortunately somewhat quiet and the dGPU was rarely active with my workflow.

Chris_99

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2023
I'm curious about how common coil-whine is in laptops and what causes it. My Macbook Pro M2 Max produces a significant coil-whine noise, especially when the GPU is in use. I've noticed that deleting/stopping the use of AlDente has decreased the level of noise, but it is still present. It appears using AlDente in conjunction with other GPU-intensive applications has an even greater impact on the level of noise. This is likely due to the software's manipulation/modification of the battery charging control-override, which can affect the power draw and voltage regulation of the GPU.

While this may be a contributing factor to the level of coil-whine produced by my device, it is still unclear whether this is a common issue across other laptops with similar software configurations. Any insights or experiences others may have with this specific issue would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if it's normal for laptops to have coil-whine, and if I should consider requesting an exchange for my device. I've compared my Macbook to a 14" model, which had less noticeable coil-whine during benchmark stress tests, and the 16" model produced noise even during tasks like streaming 4k videos on YouTube.

I am currently considering whether to exchange or return my Macbook Pro M2 Max, given the significant coil-whine noise it produces when using the GPU. However, this is a custom configuration that may take several weeks to arrive, so I am hesitant to go through with the exchange process if it is not necessary.

I would appreciate any advice or input from those who have experienced similar issues with coil-whine and whether they ultimately chose to exchange or keep their device. Additionally, any recommendations on how to reduce or eliminate the noise without having to exchange the device would also be helpful.
Did you find a solution for your coil whine noise? did you exchange your device? was it just a faulty device?
please elaborate!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"My Macbook Pro M2 Max produces a significant coil-whine noise, especially when the GPU is in use"

Perhaps I'm wrong on this, but m-series Macs don't have a dedicated "GPU" -- it's integrated to be a part of the CPU itself, and the GPU is always "in use". I welcome correction from others.

You could take it to an Apple Store genius bar and see if the problem can be replicated for them. They'll probably offer to replace the logic board.

If they do, TAKE THEM UP on it.
You may be without the MBP for 2-3 days.

Last edited:

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
OP wrote:
"My Macbook Pro M2 Max produces a significant coil-whine noise, especially when the GPU is in use"

Perhaps I'm wrong on this, but m-series Macs don't have a dedicated "GPU" -- it's integrated to be a part of the CPU itself, and the GPU is always "in use". I welcome correction from others.

You could take it to an Apple Store genius bar and see if the problem can be replicated for them. They'll probably offer to replace the logic board.

If they do, TAKE THEM UP on it.
You may be without the MBP for 2-3 days.
I'll always be in use, but when used more heavily it will affect power delivery circuitry differently which i can picture producing such a result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.