Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vonjover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
Has anyone had freezes with their 16" macbook pro touchbar? I've had mine freeze on me a few times already and its been with me for only 3 days. You think this is a bug with Catalina that comes with the MBP? or should i just get it replaced?

sbrunner

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
Never happened to me. I had issues with true tone and and brightness on display that became a lot better after the last 15.2 update, though.

Wise_duck

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2019
Hi, I have the same problem with a touchbar with two MacBooks. The first was replaced, the second was sent yesterday, and again the friezes. Apple advised me to reset SMC and NVRAM. Try to reset them, if it doesn't help, ask for a replacement. Do you also have only part of the touchbar does not work?
[automerge]1578015486[/automerge]
I often do not work only the right part of the touchbar, where the volume switch. Does not work in Safari, telegram and many other places. Helps reload this app. But this is not often, once a day.
[automerge]1578015683[/automerge]
No issue with mine.

How does it freeze? And is there any association to the application you are running?
It freezes when you listen to music and want to make it quieter or louder. When you listen to music on YouTube (Safari) or when you listen to music in another app(telegram)

Last edited:

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
I have the same issue with my new 16". My Touch Bar seems to freeze when I watch YouTube videos in Safari and go to adjust the volume from the Touch Bar. Its intermittent, happens roughly once every 3-5 days. I can't reproduce it on demand. I figured it was just a Catalina software bug.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Has anyone had freezes with their 16" macbook pro touchbar? I've had mine freeze on me a few times already and its been with me for only 3 days. You think this is a bug with Catalina that comes with the MBP? or should i just get it replaced?

Yes, many times and I decided to return it and wait for a revision in 2020.

Vonjover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
No issue with mine.

How does it freeze? And is there any association to the application you are running?
Freezes after waking up from sleep or sometimes when i need to change volume. only the volume/brightness controls freezes.

trailmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
Yep, mine did it a few times. Didn't identify a pattern and it wasn't a deal breaker (as I'm not a fan of the TB anyway). Was probably the only bug I encountered in my 4-5 weeks of trialling.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Ye it has been happening to me. You can reset it from the terminal with the following command so that you don't have to restart the Mac:
Code:
killall ControlStrip

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I have had it with my 2016 13" MBP a number of times, and once so far on the 16". It's not a hardware defect and it's not limited to the 16" by any means. It's just a bug (albeit a very annoying one).

iovlad

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2020
Update. I have not had this issue since my last post over three weeks ago. I think my mpb is cured.

Were there any macOS updates that you installed that could have fixed this? Or maybe some apps that you've uninstalled? Or did it just stop happening on its own?

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
My 2019 15" mbp touch bar froze on me a few times since I installed catalina. I never had this issue on mojave.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
My 2016 MBP that I mentioned above has only ever been on Mojave and still has the issue. But it's a very intermittent thing so it's hard to track.

iovlad

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2020
Those who had freezes, did you update to 10.15.3? Did it do any good to the issues?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

I've had freezes on 15.1, none on 15.2, and one on 15.3. I just keep filing bug reports in hopes they can track it down.

A good way (at least it used to be unless they fixed it) to duplicate it was to use the emojis in the Touch Bar when using iMessage. This would frequently cause crashes in the Touch Bar for me.

I haven't had it in awhile so it may have been fixed.

Reactions: iovlad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.