16 or 32 GB touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by guitarbedlam, Sep 11, 2008.

1. guitarbedlam macrumors newbie

Hey I was planning on purchasing the new iPod touch. I was wondering whether I should get the 16 or 32 GB model. I have a decent amount of music and around 8 movies. Would I be okay with the 16 or should I spent 100 bucks more for double the memory? Also, would it be better to just buy the old model and get the 2.1 firmware, or just buy the 2nd generation touch?

2. NothingShocking macrumors newbie

Might as well get a 2nd gen, they aren't that much more right now. They have better battery life and a few other things. I'd go with the bigger model. It's future proofing your purchase incase you want to dump a lot of stuff on their later on. The price isn't that much more in the long run.

3. vanhanz macrumors newbie

I'm in the same pickle. I have about 7 GB of MP3's on my MBP and I have many more Gigs in backup storage that i've been meaning to bring back. I'm def getting the second gen touch because of the Nike+, but I'm not sure if I'll be kicking myself later for not getting the extra memory. I plan on downloading alot more music and apps.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 16Gb because sometimes I'm only in the mood for certain types of music and I can just re-do my playlists every month. I'm not sure how much of a pain this is because I'm used to having a 512 MB Mp3 player. I hope the games don't take up too much space, especially the ones with really nice GFX coming out.

4. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

My rule of the thumb is to go for twice the amount of memory you expect to use. If you alread have around 7 GB of data I think you'll feel sorry very soon, when you download a few apps or subscribe to some podcasts.

5. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

I'm mulling over the same decision. At the moment, I'm thinking that, in addition to the "twice as much as you'll think you need" rule-of-thumb that Sijmen mentioned, the 32 GB model may be easier to sell for a decent price in a few years, if I decide to get an iPhone and not use the 'touch till it's dead.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's a matter of $100. I would go for broke and get the 32gb.

7. Duffinator macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Excellent point.

8. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Ordered 16GB for $299.

9. guitarbedlam thread starter macrumors newbie

Vanhanz, i have no idea how you are able to use only 512MB of memory for music. I have a gig and I struggle with that. I think I'm going to go with the 32GB 2nd gen. thanks for the opinion guys!

10. angels lust macrumors member

I went with the 32GB myself. I would prefer a 64GB model but if worse comes to worse I'll just be more selective of what I put on there.

Not to mention I'm keeping my 5.5th gen. 80GB, which if I travel will likely always be with me in case I feel like listening to something I don't have sync'd to my iPod Touch.

Out of curiosity though, is there a way to have two different library's on the same computer without dual-booting? It'd be nice to have one iTunes library for my 80GB and another one with songs for my iPod Touch.

11. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

I've never come across a way to do something like that. Usually people are looking to share one library between two users. I think you'll have to use playlists (and sub-playlists) to accomplish what you want.

12. Mollemand macrumors regular

I'm still in limbo over the 32GB. I still think (hope) that apple will pull an iMac gfx board on the iPod Touch and come out with a 64GB update in the next 4-5 months.

If they do and I buy the 32GB I will have to hold my breath 'till I pass out.

13. windowpain macrumors 6502a

It's surprisingly easy to do..Just hold option when you open itunes and it will ask you if you want to create a new library.

I'm not sure why you really need 2 though, just create playlists and tell your ipod(s) to sync to only the playlists you want on your ipod. You don't need to sync all your music to all ipods.

I have 2 ipods syncing different music to the same (larger) library and it works well.

I went for the 8gb touch because it's enough for me. (I've got an 8gb nano too)
    I thought I would save a bit of money and replace it earlier than I could if I had splashed for the 16GB.

14. guitarbedlam thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Just as an update, I took the plunge and bought the 32GB off of Amazon, since I had a gift card. Supposed to come around a week from Friday

15. beeh macrumors regular

Go for the 32GB! When I bought mine, I wanted 8GB to save $$, but my best friend talked me into the 16GB, now I'm glad she did...if not, I would have upgraded at some point and paid the difference anyway.

16. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

2nd Generation. And each movie takes about 1.7 gigs (Cars took up that on mine), so 8 movies = 13.6 gigs and formatted capacity is like 14.52 on the 16 gig version, so get the 32 gig version.