Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
The extra $100 for 32GB is like an extra $5 a month over the life of the 2yr contract. If you can afford to bend over and pay AT&T service charges to begin with, you can afford an extra $5 to get the better model. ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The extra $100 for 32GB is like an extra $5 a month over the life of the 2yr contract. If you can afford to bend over and pay AT&T service charges to begin with, you can afford an extra $5 to get the better model. ;)

Many people are amortizing the cost over two years to justify their purchase but in reality they (like me) have not owned their current iPhone for 2 years so what makes them or anyone think they'll keep it for 2 years.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Many people are amortizing the cost over two years to justify their purchase but in reality they (like me) have not owned their current iPhone for 2 years so what makes them or anyone think they'll keep it for 2 years.

Ok so its $10 over the course of one year. Just don't go to Starbucks.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This phone is not made for doing video. Just like it is not meant for taking pictures. Even with a 3MP camera. Come-on guys. 3MP!!! You would not even look twice at buying a camera these days that only takes pictures at 3MP resolution. Sure, it will suffice in a jam when I cannot carry a my Digital SLR with me or my digital HD video camera, but for real. Why people are justifying getting the 32GB iphone because they plan to shot a lot of video with it is beyond me. I mean really, do you really want to record that much crappy quality video. I guess some people do.

The best camera is the one you have with you, and if you always have the iphone with you a better camera is a good thing.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Well, when I put my 32GB 3G S up for sell 18 months from now I will get more for it than I would if I were selling a 16GB. Thats my justification.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Just because you've never filled up your 16GB with content doesn't mean you can't. Or you won't. Trust me, it's easy to do.

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
I have the 3G 16, I pre-ordered the 16G, then thought about it. Cancelled my order and went with the 32G. It only $100 more.

Ploppy1987

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
I've decided on the 16 GB. I'm going tomorrow to place my pre-order at AT&T store.

I had a 4 GB iphone 2G and I barely filled it up to 3 GB. That is until the touchscreen failed and it was out of warranty.

So for me I see getting the 16 GB and spending the extra money I would have spent on the 32 GB on an Applecare. Never wanna go through what I went through again.

My only concern is I may be taking a bunch of video. But not enough to fill it in one day that I can't grab my computer and take it off. I don't see it being a problem and if it is; I'll just adapt.

And I only carry around like 100-200 songs so that's not an issue either.

AsianChexMix

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
I went with 32GB because of resale value and like knowing that I can do whatever I want with the phone without worrying about memory. I think 16GB will require more memory management. Peace at mind is probably good.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I am on the phone with Apple, on hold, to switch from the 16 to the 32. I figure I am keeping this for 2 years, why the F not.

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
32GB for me. I think that whenever possible get the larger memory.

Especially if I am going to be using the video (which I am!)

Also I like to have a lot of my stuff (music / tv / podcasts) with me. And I try to use as many apps as I can, because that's half the fun of the iphone.

Now do I think I'll have this phone for two years? Absolutely not.

PS. Anyone interested in a pristine 16GB 3G white?

jprocha

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
i don't know what i should get?

i have a ipod video that is 30gb.
it has 8 gb used up and i've had it since christmas 06...

i could get the 16gb and keep my other ipod to put some stuff on.... if it has been 2 1/2 years and i've only gathered 8gb of music, i don't see how i need the 32 gb.

how much space do apps use? i really would just used pandora and facebook most of the time.

thanks

AsianChexMix

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
i don't know what i should get?

i have a ipod video that is 30gb.
it has 8 gb used up and i've had it since christmas 06...

i could get the 16gb and keep my other ipod to put some stuff on.... if it has been 2 1/2 years and i've only gathered 8gb of music, i don't see how i need the 32 gb.

how much space do apps use? i really would just used pandora and facebook most of the time.

thanks

I would sell the iPod and get the 32GB to make up the difference for it...then again, not sure going prices of the iPods.

jprocha

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
I would sell the iPod and get the 32GB to make up the difference for it...then again, not sure going prices of the iPods.

Good idea... I don't know how much they go for but the iPod is in perfect condition and I can give them the USB cable, 2 cases, and the portable speakers I have. They can even keep the music videos or the movie I have on it.

AsianChexMix

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
Good idea... I don't know how much they go for but the iPod is in perfect condition and I can give them the USB cable, 2 cases, and the portable speakers I have. They can even keep the music videos or the movie I have on it.

I checked eBay. Look at the bids that people offered. That should give you a good idea of how much you can get.

Look at ithere

Gatorac

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Honestly I'm going with the 16gb. Storage isn't a problem and should be fine. You can simply up load all your videos and photos online and view them at any moment or download them again being that you almost constantly have access to the net. And for music, streaming is a solution and correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there apps that let you access your itunes library on your home PC from your iphone.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Stupid question 16 or 32G....

Look if you have to ask you haven't learned. Apple is not offering 32G out of the kindness of their heart its because people want more storage.

I would be willing to bet that 99% of the people that get the 16G will ponder the thought "should I have gotten the 32G"

Buyers remorse

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002

According to the iTunes store:

pandora = 0.5 MB
facebook = 0.8 MB

I'd say you'd do pretty well with the 16 GB. For any specific app, just look at it on the iTunes store to see the size.

jprocha

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
According to the iTunes store:

pandora = 0.5 MB
facebook = 0.8 MB

I'd say you'd do pretty well with the 16 GB. For any specific app, just look at it on the iTunes store to see the size.

Thanks for the tip!:)

icetyu

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Don't forget that 3GS records video. One might need the extra memory to store those long video clips.

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Sometimes I listen to Pandora, sometimes I want to actually listen to specific music/bands/artists that I have. So I like to have as much available to me as possible. If you ever have those moments where you just have to hear a song that is stuck in your head, I like to have it around. :D

Plus with more powerful 3D, the games can only get bigger and bigger ;)

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Also, with iphone, you shouldn't have to carry around an ipod. If you feel you need your ipod TOO, then you probably should consider the 32GB

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
32GB for only $100 more was a no brainer for me.

My tough decision was black or white - I went with black again just like my 3G

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.