'16 rMBP - what was apple [not] thinking?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LostLib, Nov 12, 2016.

?

Do you need more than 16GB of memory or a $10 USB-C/Magsafe power converter?

1. Yes, need one or both

25 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. Nope, not an issue

62 vote(s)
    71.3%
  1. LostLib macrumors newbie

A couple of fairly big misses on this release. USB-C - More dongles isn't a good thing, wireless just does not cover everything. Ever try to unload 100GB of photos and video from your camera? Just because Apple's design team wants to simplify to a single connector, doesn't mean it's customers have that option - we're stuck holding the bag to re-purchase a boatload of "connectivity benders".

My "connector bender" bill just passed $500, and I haven't done the power yet. If you have multiple locations, ergo multiple monitors, and likely six to ten power bricks - Apple just handed you a $5000 bill to upgrade four monitors, OR a $1000 bill to upgrade the power bricks. On top of a $5K laptop.

All this USB-C "common port" mess has accomplished - is require me to carry around a "dongle bag" of connectors - Apple has actually made this machine less useful. With the dongles, it actually weighs more, and now I have two items to lug around. Great way to start a meeting: "who has the right dongle???"

And they left out the memory upgrade. For anyone doing MPP development requiring more than two or three VMs or docker images - this machine doesn't help. "power saving" was the reason given - why that trade off of battery life over memory isn't a customer choice - well - as I've implied, Apple clearly was only thinking about design purity.

My current MBP is 4+ years old, so I don't have much choice. But I'm really pissed that I already know I'm going to have to sell this one when a memory capable machine comes out - or I will just have said to hell with it, and have made the jump to linux.

This is labeled as "Professional" gear. Certainly would be nice if Apple actually took into consideration that professionals actually use the gear.

2. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

Come on! Buy a dongle. Why not thank Apple for the amazing design, the top quality SSD, the perfect screen, the thought that has gone into it.
    Don't waste your life moaning about a materialistic product! If you don't like it - don't buy it. Carry dongles is hardly a problem like families dying in Syria or someone without food. Think about it!!!
    And thanks Apple for a really decent design of laptop.

3. CarbonCycles macrumors newbie

Obviously you (including myself) wasn't the intended crowd of "professionals"...wtf ever that means.

We would be better off drawing flying penises for our development work

4. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Either stick with your current machine, buy the 2015 model or buy something else. No need for another complain-thread.

5. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Come on. Apple isn't stupid. They wouldn't design a computer that the vast majority would not buy due to not being powerful enough. Obviously you're the minority here and the vast majority will do fine on the new MBP.

Get off your high horses and realize there are multiple types of professionals.
    Also; keep in mind this is a LAPTOP. Get a desktop computer if you need more power. It's always been this way.

6. LostLib thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not one dongle. It's five for the "dongle bag" and it's at least two for every workstation - so another ten to 15 of the little beasts. And that assumes the dongles or converters even exist - find a USB-C to MagSafe converter - not a cable, a converter.

I already bought one, it'll be here on Wednesday. Cool design is only really cool - when it works. Otherwise, it's just a piece of hanging art work.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 12, 2016 ---
    I can entirely agree with there being many types of professionals - and it will work for lots of people. I AM in the minority, until I'm not. Point is that for those of us closer to the edge, this isn't really an upgrade at all. Apple does make the best HW, note I'm still using my 4+ year old rMBP. It doesn't make this new one better.

7. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

Just curious, what 5 dongles are you carrying with you ?
    More curiosity, your post clearly makes it sound it dosnt work, so its just a piece of art, so why did you guy one ?

8. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

Then with all due respect, Don't buy it. Every laptop can not cater for every one. Apple would have made the design decision for what caters to maximum audience.
    Its sad they dont make a workstation grade Laptop with options to upgrade and more types of Port, but its useless to complaint really.

9. LostLib thread starter macrumors newbie

USB, DVI, VGA, Lightning, Thunderbolt, MiniDisplay, Apple Watch Charger, CF, MicroCF... Doesn't count the power brick.

Changing OS's and 50 applications isn't an investment I can make at the moment, nor do I really think I want to. I'm not mad at Apple, I'm disappointed they didn't think about this - a lot more than this appears.
    If we don't complain, no one will know there is an issue. This is documenting - there is an issue.

10. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

VGA,DVI ,Apple watch Charger, CF, MicroCF, Lightning, wouldn't you be carrying this even if you had an older model.
    You can get the Apple USB C to Digital AV mutli Adapter to cover USB and HDMI (if needed) and a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.
    So thats just 2 more adapters than you would normally carry, or am I mistaken ?

11. LostLib thread starter macrumors newbie

The need for a good powered multiport adapter is obvious, you can't blame me for lamenting I need a bunch of them. It's also clear that over time, many peripherals will support USB-C on the other end - which makes much of the cable mess go away - I get the objective. That said - the all or nothing transition, isn't a good one.

I don't carry many of these now - because we invested in dongles in every conference room... so some of that is masked. Those will need to be replaced, or yet another dongle converter will need to be purchased...

12. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

USB-C to USB cable and then the dongle to that cable :D :p
    Simple solution xD

13. LostLib thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I had the same giggle over that. Wasn't quite certain if it was hubris or humility...

14. Esmilis macrumors newbie

Esmilis

Why not get mad at the issue that we have so many damn port standards in the first place? And instead thank apple for being proactive to get rid this whole mess? I still remember the world before USB, trust me they are doing the world a favor

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

So the reality of it is you are one of those people that complains just to complain.

16. Esmilis macrumors newbie

Esmilis

Also for slow transitions, it will take 5 years for every peripheral manufacturers to catch up, and you will still get a bunch of whiners crying about what they are suppose to do with their ps2 keyboards

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you're lucky, monoprice will come out with some single cable solutions for some of those combinations.

18. Hanson Eigilson macrumors member

Apple promised us many times top line computers and they broke that promise, again. On top of that there is the dongle fiasco. Those of us that Apple locked inside their neatly groomed garden are left with nothing but expenses and hassle changing platforms. We have all the right in the world to complain

19. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Then by all means, complain: http://www.apple.com/feedback/
    Doing it here doesn't do much, other than.. well, just complaining for the heck of it.

20. PaulWog Suspended

Apple always holds back something on their products, so that you have to spend more to get what you want... or buy next year's model to get what you want.

2015 Macbook Pro 13"? 128GB SSD. (8GB of RAM was still an issue but not as much as in 2016)
    2016 Macbook Pro 13"? 8GB RAM.

Here's the piss-in-the-lemonade though: Apple upped their prices so ridiculously that they SHOULD be giving the customer a complete product. As in, 16GB of RAM.

A premium computer should serve the average consumer's needs for at least 4 years. A pro's needs, maybe not as much. I would bet money that in 4 years, 8GB of RAM will feel slow, even if you're just doing average stuff. Sure it'll work, but it'll feel limiting to many.

21. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

If only Apple stuck with a standard. It took courage to remove a headphone jack...on some products. My new iPhone doesn't use a headphone jack, but the MBP I have on order does. And my new phone uses a lightning cable, but my MBP uses USB C. Yes I know I can get a USB to lightning cable, but Apple hardly got rid of a mess.

22. Hanson Eigilson macrumors member

Because changing platforms is a huge deal for most people, there is the expense in hardware, but there is retraining and codebase to consider too. And I used to love Apple, talking with people that feel the same way and have the same experience makes it somehow less atrocious.

23. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

I think the laptop is amazing and I'm a developer. Is that pro?

This dongle whining gets old. I also have a MacBook and you eventually love the usbc convenience.

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

You are way, way outside of the ordinary if you insist on having power bricks and a full selection of adapters at 4-5 separate locations. The reality is that with any brand you'd have this same transition every few years. Apple actually changes connection standards far less frequently than most. They just do it without looking back, but then they tend to stick with it for a long time.

Most people will need an adapter or two, and perhaps an extra power brick. And Apple went with an open standard! So if you don't want to buy from Apple, buy from anyone else you like!