16 vs. 32gig

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TJaames, Dec 4, 2010.

1. TJaames, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

TJaames macrumors member

New question guys!
    I'm waiting on the 2nd gift card to get here, then I am ordering an IPad right away.
    According to the website, the store ships out in 24 hours. I will be going home next Friday and go to school in PA (Penn State), was just wondering if it would be safe to have it shipped to my school, do you think it would get to me in time? I would be hopefully ordering tomorrow. Thank you!

2. scelzifan macrumors 6502

I would honestly save a little more and get a 64. I have a 3G but never even use it because there is wifi everywhere. To me, it was kind of a waste of money, expecially if you have a IPhone. But you do have a MBP so maybe a 16 would do you fine. Really just depends on what you plan on doing with it.

3. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

The wisest thing you can do is consider how you want to use an iPad, and your reasons for getting one. If you just want one to play around on or show off, maybe 16 gig will do you fine, and leave you some change for some accessories. If you want to load some movies onto it for the road, 32 gig and perhaps 3G will suit you better. I know quite a few people who bought iPads without actually considering anything at all - 16gb owners want more space, 64gb 3g owners feel buyer's remorse for barely even using it and whatever costly dataplan they've signed up for.

Regardless of how much money you have in the bank, it's always smart to just stop and think. I bought my wifi 32 gig iPad and it's perfect for me - any more memory would've been a waste, any less a frustration, and as I only use it in 2 places on the planet (home and uni, both with wifi), 3G would have been utterly pointless.

If you can wait, why not stick it out a month or two to see if any new model arrives in 2011 - or, see if any iPad 1's are available from the refurbished stock store after a next-gen announcement?

Up to you man, but either way it's an amazing device, hope you get as much bang for your buck as you can.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I've got a 32 w/3G. I'm a road warrior an my 3G is consistently faster than the hotel wifi.

I've actually deleted the movies I had loaded up in favor of some games like Madden. Wish I had got the 64 now. For me, having all my music was a bigger deal than attaching movies. If you're a movie watcher, go big.

7. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

I agree with Neon's points. I bought a 32 GB WiFi and have no regrets. It was well worth the extra $100 + over the 16 GB.

A few things to consider. How much will you take it out of your house and away from your computer? If it's primarily an at-home device, you'd be okay with only 16 GBs because you can switch out videos, music, apps, etc. easily with a sync. If it's gonna be more mobile, you might prefer the 32 GB since you can load it up for the road.

Also, consider what you'll be putting on your iPad. You say you've only used 3.5 gigs on your iPod, but you might be more compelled to load up an iPad with video since it's a much better device for that. Videos can take up quite a bit of room, especially if you have a lot of movies. iPad HD apps, too, can take up more room than iPhone apps do.

The 32 GB WiFi was perfect for me for a few reasons. I have an iPhone, even though it's EDGE only, so I don't need another mobile device or monthly contract. I've got a bunch of videos on iTunes, and I think the iPad is the best way to watch them, so I've loaded it up because I can. And even though I haven't used nearly all my hard drive, I wanted to avoid ever being reluctant to put another app, or video, or whatever on it for fear of a lack of space. I love not having to worry really about that when syncing.

I use my iPad for internet, mail, videos and apps. It has replaced my laptop in more ways than I thought it could before I bought it, and has been completely worth it. Hope I've helped.

8. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

If you truly only have 3.5 gig used on your iPod then that should answer your question. The iPad will likely make you use more memory than the iPod, but not that much more!
    If you are not someone who needs to carry lots of music and movies then the 16gb will be fine.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

16Gb is not enough and I don't even have that many stuff on here. 32GB is a good choice.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Get the 64gb. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. No such thing as too much storage on an iPad, especially since it weighs the same. If you ever need the space you'd be in a bind as the iPad storage is not upgradeable. Personal financial considerations aside, 64gb is where it's at. ;)

11. andrewsd macrumors 6502

I say you wait a little bit based on the rumors that the iPad 2 will be out early 2011 or just go big now and be happy with what you have. 32gig is a sweet spot with 3g. Just my 2 cents.. Best of luck, Prost!

12. cecoleman macrumors regular

You want good advice, here you go. If you have an iPod, don't get the 32gb. I got the 32gb one but use only about 8gb of it. Reason? I don't listen to music library on the iPad. I use my iPhone for music or my Mac's when I am working. I have streamed music through the iPad a few times, but you don't need storage for that. Save your money. Also don't believe anyone that says it has better resale value. It doesn't. The reason is that anyone who is willing to buy a used iPad isn't really serious about gadgets or technology. The people who buy used are looking for a deal. So they would pay $500 for a 16gb wife before they'd spend $500 on a used 32gb iPad. Because if you plan to resell it to upgrade later, you'd almost have to sell for less than new iPad. I'd rather buy the 16gb and sell it for $400 after a year than sell a used 32gb for less than $500.

Think about it.

13. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

500$ Gift Card? Wow, I want one of those friends too!
    If you can't even fill your iPod a 1/4 get the 16GB, but I suggest the 32GB because it's a nice sweet spot that future-proofs you if you turn into a power user with movies and more music and apps

14. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Exactly. iPad is, I think, more than just an iPod. I mean, obviously the secreen is a lot bigger, allowing you to watch movies, use incredible apps and brows more sufficiently. 32 gb is the perfect memory as it gives you the possibility to store music, apps, pictures AND movies, all in one fantastic device!

15. TJaames thread starter macrumors member

Alright guys, thank you so much for your feedback, you've given me a lot to think about.

I'm still on the fence though, in your opinion would you go for a new 16gig model, or a refurbished 32gig. The 100 dollars extra is a bit daunting to me, so I'm just trying to make the best choice. Thanks again!

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

from my experience i do not feel that 16GB is enough - i do not store any music and i stream all of my videos through my network, and its nearly completely full. i do have a lot of applications though.

17. yankintx macrumors 6502

Sure it will. You'll get more for it...about the difference you paid when you bought it.

I've seen the sales on EBay, and the difference in the used selling price is really no more than the difference in initial price of the IPad.

18. yankintx macrumors 6502

Sure it will. You'll get more for it...about the difference you paid when you bought it.

I've seen the sales on EBay, and the difference in the used selling price is really no more than the difference in initial price of the IPad.
    I went with the 16 gb and will never fill it up...not even close. I guess some people like to load their IPads up with as many movies as possible, and as many fart apps as possible, but not me!:)

Just my worthless opinion...do what is right for you, but don't listen to these who just spew out " 16 will not be enough.". You just have to figure out what you will use it for.

19. yankintx macrumors 6502

Finally someone that makes sense!

20. ibis99 macrumors regular

32g without question. You will understand this better in a few months. Plus it will give you a better resell value when you decide to upgrade.:apple:

21. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I have 16gb and I'm very happy with it.

IMO you should wait for iPad version 2 which will likely be released in April. If you have waited this long you may as well wait for the better device.

22. TJaames thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys for the feedback! I'm thinking I might go with the refurbished 32gig model! New question above about shipping!

23. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

If you keep your music outside, which is not always nice since there are really cool apps like DJay that just came out you may save a lot of space, 16GB in my case, but that is kinda painful, I'd rather have it all and more than on an iPhone

24. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

For reading and writing 16 GB is more than enough. I also have some games and a few apps for reading and writing.

Adding your media or lots of games may require the 32 GB.

For me 16 GB is OK

25. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I have the 64GB one, but I agree that 32GB is probably the sweet spot. I'm finding that that's pretty much how much I'm using, even with some media on mine. Yes, I could always load more music and movies on it, but I'm comfy where I'm at. I don't know how I would manage with only 16GB.