$1600 Keyboard

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I was just cutting up some old magazines for a color theory project I have when I came across a little blurb about the Optimus Maximus keyboard and included a website. The magazine was from March '06 so I didn't think too much about it, but I still tried the site out.

What do you know, the keyboard is now (finally) on pre-sale...for just under $1600!

All of its 113 keys are actually OLED displays that are completely customizable with letters, pictures, animations.

Now, if I was insanely wealthy I may think about getting this...or even now as a poor student I may (that's a very very tiny may) think about getting it just because I could show it off :cool:.

That being said, what are peoples thoughts on a keyboard with displays as keys and one that may very well cost more than the computer it is used with?

Mac One

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
NZ
I agree with you - if I were insanely wealthy I would get one. Its a bit excessive though isn't it? How many people would need to constantly change their keyboard layout - why wouldn't they have one normal and one with Cyrillic (or one of the others they mentioned) if they needed a special keyboard.

wallaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
The better you know your keyboard, the less you should have to look at it....the Optimus Keywboard, while cool, is a complete waste of capital.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Wow, it cheaper than when it was still in the design phase! Back then they were saying it was about $3000+ or something.

But seriously, that is one nice looking keyboard.

Considering the price, it also comes complete with a Kensington lock hole.