$1600 Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by creator2456, Sep 7, 2007.

1. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I was just cutting up some old magazines for a color theory project I have when I came across a little blurb about the Optimus Maximus keyboard and included a website. The magazine was from March '06 so I didn't think too much about it, but I still tried the site out.

What do you know, the keyboard is now (finally) on pre-sale...for just under $1600!

All of its 113 keys are actually OLED displays that are completely customizable with letters, pictures, animations.

Now, if I was insanely wealthy I may think about getting this...or even now as a poor student I may (that's a very very tiny may) think about getting it just because I could show it off :cool:.

That being said, what are peoples thoughts on a keyboard with displays as keys and one that may very well cost more than the computer it is used with?

2. Mac One macrumors member

I agree with you - if I were insanely wealthy I would get one. Its a bit excessive though isn't it? How many people would need to constantly change their keyboard layout - why wouldn't they have one normal and one with Cyrillic (or one of the others they mentioned) if they needed a special keyboard.

3. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

The better you know your keyboard, the less you should have to look at it....the Optimus Keywboard, while cool, is a complete waste of capital.

4. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Wow, it cheaper than when it was still in the design phase! Back then they were saying it was about $3000+ or something.

But seriously, that is one nice looking keyboard.

Considering the price, it also comes complete with a Kensington lock hole.