$1600 Poorer!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ppfd, Jun 21, 2007.

1. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

Well I am now $1600 poorer now. Why? I bought a White Mac book yesterday!:D 2.16G 1G memory, super drive and Apple Care. Student discount and free I Pod (of which I don't own) passed on the printer, I have about 4 laying around and use one! Dealt with Apple Direct (Matt Boone) Should be here next week.

Couple of things ( I know, I know search, help the new guy out!:p )
    I was offered I work, I believe its called, should I by or should I go with free ware such as Neo Office or Open Office?

Do I need to download Safari?

I want to add the extra gig of ram, who has the best prices?

Thanks for all the help on with this, and prepare for more questions in a week!!

2. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

I hear good things about NeoOffice and OpenOffice, but I've never tried them.

No, you don't need to download Safari, it comes installed.

As for RAM, you'll probably need to buy two 1GB sticks, as Macbooks with 1GB stock have both RAM slots filled with 512MB sticks.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

NeoOffice is great...MS:Office is slow now, but may be worth it in a few months when the next version comes. However, a better OpenOffice is also on the way.

Safari comes installed, but there is a newer beta with some cool features here.

Before posting every problem you have, remember we have a great search feature, and some excellent guides - its very likely others will have asked the same questions as you.

Oh, by the way, congratulations on your new awesome machine :)

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Safari comes with your new baby.

freeware or payware - difficult choice - I get 'Office' as part of my job so I can't really answer.

Crucial for RAM

Use something like Iceclean from time to time

http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31818

esp after major installs or updates. to sort out your Mac

PS. Welcome to Mac.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Since you're new, I'll forgive you- it's iPod and iWork. Little i, no space, capital letter. :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple products. Stick around the forum. You'll love it here.

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I would not try the new Safari right now. A friend just loaded it on her MacBook and it caused all sorts of strange behaviour with her MSN messenger which probably relies on Webkit for some HTML rendering.

Enjoy your purchase though!

7. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I've heard good things about open office and even downloaded it just to take a looksie a few weeks ago (my boyfriend was switching to mac FINALLY and didnt have a copy of office for apple... until we realized we had an extra license on our family pack still that we gave him) and it seemed quite solid... I would think about going with that or neooffice temporarily and if you find you want MS Office for compatibility or somethin (although very rarely have problems it seems) then wait till they come out with the native intel version in a few months.

iWork is really a good set. Keynote is a great alternative to powerpoint (I would say easier and prettier) AND has options to save files in powerpoint formats and such for PC Windoze users. Pages is also a good simple layout program.

Your machine will come with a 30 day trial of both these programs in iWork however, so try them out, if you like them... buy them. They aren't that expensive :)

I know you already checked i'm sure, but you said you got a student discount. If you are at a university... check out their computer store for ram and software. (although I'm sure you checked for computers too..) my university has AMAZING deals on software (half price on iWork and the like) and ram. 1 gig stick for 40 bucks? Can't go wrong with that. So check that stuff out first... other then that.. crucial is good. I got some gforce which is doing me quite nicely for just under 70 a few months ago.

Welcome to Mac!!

8. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Is the RAM user replaceable under Apple's warranty on the MacBook? I know it's OK to do it with the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro... but I want to say that replacing your own RAM on the MacBook and iMac voids your warranty.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No it doesn't. Apple even provide documentation on how to do it yourself.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_Memory_DIY.pdf

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, and its a great reason to switch to the awesome Adium, which blows the pants of Microsoft Messenger...