Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Just wondering which screens you guys prefer

Both are retina macbooks.

Left is LG SJA2 and Right is Samsung

both set at there default factory settings, no calbration.

I've tried recalbrating but could never match the LG.

Which do you guys prefeR?

i have to pick which one and unfrotunately cant do another replacement. this is kinda in relation to my other thread but the point of this one is to show you all the ACTUAL screen difference between twoworking screens .

i used my nikon d5200 which is a pretty decent camera so what you see in the pic is exactly what i see.

Attachments

• DSC_2356.JPG
    DSC_2356.JPG
    564 KB · Views: 2,013

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I have seen 2 Samsung panels that exhibit that same difference.

So the variation in color exists even with the same manufacturer.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I like the LG. Much more vibrant, the colours look more dull on the right. As a consumer I would pick left. As a designer I need to look at them in person before I could judge them, but generally I like the LG.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Based on your photo, I'd pick the one on the left (the LG one). I prefer having a cooler (more blue-ish) screen since during the day that looks better and I use f.lux at night to make it warmer (more yellow-ish). But also the colours on the LG screen look better in your photo.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Hi chuck! I personally would choose the LG one on the left. I know we have had many discussions on this topic within the last couple weeks via your threads and we both know the pros and cons of each display. Considering all of that, I would simply choose the better color and go with the LG. I have the LG and have had 0 issues with it.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

If you read articles on color management rather than asking the interwebz, you would already know that. Every display oem has a tolerance level. Apple has a range of what they deem acceptable. None of them are 100% perfect, and what you call calibration is pretty limited. You're just rewriting a profile unless it's a display with some kind of addressable lut system. In the end the pick which one you like this doesn't matter. Keep whatever is free of defects and any real issues. Beyond that you're splitting hairs for the class of display you purchased. If you want the best (without going into astronomical price points), go buy an NEC or an Eizo.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Keep the Lg then you can get the screen replaced with a Samsung when you get IR. and to use the op's 3 fav letters, LOL.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Without knowing the white balance your camera was set to it's hard to be sure what the white points of those monitors are, but most rMBP panels I've seen have been very close to 6500K white point and sRGB color space straight from the package. This white point can look yellowish, if the viewer is used to the over 7500K white points often used as a default setting on many displays (like pretty much all previous Apple notebooks). There are of course variations in panels, so the white points might be a bit off on some displays, but the rMBP displays I've seen so far have been surprisingly consistent. The difference seen in the picture you posted is worse than any I've come across this far.

What ever white point is correct depends on what you will use the computer for, but for printing 6500K or lover is the way to go. If your other monitors are calibrated at higher white points, I suggest you try to match them, or even better, get a hardware calibrator and calibrate all your displays to the same white point and gamma.

I suggest you also take a look at this free guide on color management: http://www.nativedigital.com/practical-colour-management-v4-ebook-pdf/

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Without knowing the white balance your camera was set to it's hard to be sure what the white points of those monitors are, but most rMBP panels I've seen have been very close to 6500K white point and sRGB color space straight from the package. This white point can look yellowish, if the viewer is used to the over 7500K white points often used as a default setting on many displays (like pretty much all previous Apple notebooks). There are of course variations in panels, so the white points might be a bit off on some displays, but the rMBP displays I've seen so far have been surprisingly consistent. The difference seen in the picture you posted is worse than any I've come across this far.

What ever white point is correct depends on what you will use the computer for, but for printing 6500K or lover is the way to go. If your other monitors are calibrated at higher white points, I suggest you try to match them, or even better, get a hardware calibrator and calibrate all your displays to the same white point and gamma.

I suggest you also take a look at this free guide on color management: http://www.nativedigital.com/practical-colour-management-v4-ebook-pdf/

based on the picture, of what u can see, did you have a preference?

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
just do a color calibration and they will look equal.

EDIT: there are some color profiles floating around in these forums that i used. prefer the cooler look on my Samsung screen as opposed to the warmer look it came with. But I use f.lux when it is evening, so it goes back to warm

Archon

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
Hard to say since the composition of the photo isn't level and the screens aren't showing 1:1 material.

By professional standards the Samsung is better.

The LG is overly blue and color saturated to be considered color accurate.

I suggest you professionally calibrate both and show exactly the same material to the pixel.

You'll likely find little if any difference.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
the left one (LG) looks better to me. Although it might be because the right one is slightly out of focus.

Samsungs screens tend to have the more yellow-ish/warmer color. I could guess which one the LG was before looking at the text.

Since you can always get a repair if the LG develops image retention, I don't see a harm in going for the better looking screen.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
based on the picture, of what u can see, did you have a preference?

I would choose the one that looks warmer. Of those two it has a greater chance of already being quite close to 6500K and 2.2 gamma. But that is my preference, and if your other displays are calibrated differently, you might prefer the one which is closer to the other displays.

It really does not matter, as both displays can be calibrated to any white point, gamma and luminance as needed.

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I think the one on the left looks too "cartoony" and less natural for my taste.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
the left one (LG) looks better to me. Although it might be because the right one is slightly out of focus.

Samsungs screens tend to have the more yellow-ish/warmer color. I could guess which one the LG was before looking at the text.

Since you can always get a repair if the LG develops image retention, I don't see a harm in going for the better looking screen.

its not image retention im really concerned about since this is SJA2 model from Lg which apparently has little reports of ghosting.

its just that the lg model made crackling noises on the right speaker (dunno if speaker or fan) after 3 horus of owning it.

after a few days...it randomly stoped and its been 2 weeks.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
So basically you're saying that a) you prefer the LG screen and b) you're not concerned about ghosting. So why are we still discussing this again ;) ?

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
So basically you're saying that a) you prefer the LG screen and b) you're not concerned about ghosting. So why are we still discussing this again ;) ?

if u read the entire last post i made its because the lg model (not because of the screen) made crackling noises and then stoped after a few days but im concerned it might come back if i keep that model or the samsung model

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
if u read the entire last post i made its because the lg model (not because of the screen) made crackling noises and then stoped after a few days but im concerned it might come back if i keep that model or the samsung model

Why is the thread titled lg v's samsung screen then?

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I have had both LG and Samsung.

1. LG represents perfect white and it is about 20% brighter but has IR. Overall it is a better display.

2. Samsung is YELLOWISH by default, but you can fix it setting it to color temperatures over 7500ºk but it makes it dramatically dimmer. I think that all samsung color profiles are wrong. 6500ºk white point is at 7700ºk more or less. It seems to be an OSX bug.

-----------------

I can't live with the image retention because it got worse over the time in my case so LG wasn't an option.

I can't live with a yellowish screen because it is horribly yellow, and distorts real colors in photoshop, etc. If you fix it calibrating it, it gets unacceptably dimmer. So Samsung is not an option.

-----------------

----> I decided to sell it and quickly realized that i was going to lose a lot of money.

----> I bought an external display to work making me feel stupid for having a rMBP.

Conclusion: Don't buy retina macbook pros for the moment.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Why is the thread titled lg v's samsung screen then?

in relation to a previous thread, just explaing to the user my predicament

----------

I have had both LG and Samsung.

1. LG represents perfect white and it is about 20% brighter but has IR. Overall it is a better display.

2. Samsung is YELLOWISH by default, but you can fix it setting it to color temperatures over 7500ºk but it makes it dramatically dimmer. I think that all samsung color profiles are wrong. 6500ºk white point is at 7700ºk more or less. It seems to be an OSX bug.

-----------------

I can't live with the image retention because it got worse over the time in my case so LG wasn't an option.

I can't live with a yellowish screen because it is horribly yellow, and distorts real colors in photoshop, etc. If you fix it calibrating it, it gets unacceptably dimmer. So Samsung is not an option.

-----------------

----> I decided to sell it and quickly realized that i was going to lose a lot of money.

----> I bought an external display to work making me feel stupid for having a rMBP.

Conclusion: Don't buy retina macbook pros for the moment.

Ive read the samsung is actually brighter? lol

do i need to go to advanced settings to set it at 7700k?

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
in relation to a previous thread, just explaing to the user my predicament

----------

Ive read the samsung is actually brighter? lol

do i need to go to advanced settings to set it at 7700k?

I have my Samsung set at 7000 and is good. Settings, display, calibrate, turn on expert mode and continue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.