>=160gb 2.5" USB2 HDD recos please

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sesshi, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm currently quite happy with the Freecom FHD-2Pro but I need to pick up a few more. Anyone have recommendations for anything better?

Right now, using a bunch of the 160Gb drives. Capacity needs to be at least that and if possible I'd want 200Gb.
    Before you go and say "Buy an enclosure", I'm fine with that but the enclosure needs to support the following, as does any drives you recommend.

First, the drive needs to be entirely bus-powered for Mac or PC. I'm aware that some enclosures have ropey bus-powering. The FHD-2 Pro switches itself off when dismounted, and that is a feature I would want. I believe it also has support for drive sleep. In either case, this is also desirable. A sturdy but not ruggedised housing is good, and a high throughout is also a must.

Thanks

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i was just looking at portable externals yesterday.
    the premade ones seem to cap out at 160gb at this point, so if you want a 200gb you'd probably have to get them separate

i ended up getting this Maxtor in 160. seems Seagate's top out at 160 as do Western Digital. the Seagate ones do come with a 5 year warranty though, but i didn't like the black/yellow coloring. heh.

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

How does it behave when dismounted? Sleep? Anything else which makes it a must buy?

(Price is not important)

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i haven't gotten it yet. but i'll let you know when it arrives, but if its like the 3.5 OneTouch III i have the drive will sleep once dismounted, although the light blinks until powered off.