Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
Hi,

Bought myself a 160gb hard drive a while ago, when i installed it i formatted it as normal and got 120gb free space. Im sure ive heard of a software hack that lets you get round this... Ive searched on the forums, but havent found anything that mentions the Digital Audio towers...

any ideas?

cheers.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
The hardware support for 48-bit addressing (for drives 128 GB and larger) isn't there on certain Macs pre-Quicksilver (and random Quicksilvers, too).

There might be a software hack, but I haven't heard of one and I'm not sure how well it would work...

If you buy a hard drive controller PCI card, then you will be set. The PCI card would take care of the 48-bit addressing issues, and the Mac would use it.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
You need something like the Sonnet Tempo card to get the full capacity of the drive. No amount of partitioning will enable you to get round it...

Have a QS733 here at work (as a server) that needed the PCI ATA card to use a 250gb HD.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
hmmm, ok cheers... think i may just not bother... its only 40gb and would cost me more to get hold of a pci card... i have 70gb left at the moment anyway...

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.