160gb SSD in a 2007 MBP. What would you do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ab2650, May 6, 2009.

  1. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #1
    Howdy Folks,

    I can't make up my mind, so I come to you for your opinion. Here's the deal:

    I recently came into ownership of a 160gb Kingston SSD drive (rebadged Intel X-25M). I wouldn't have dropped the $650 they ask for it, but Buy.com recently mispriced the 160gb for the 80gb price ($350).

    Now I'm faced with the dilemma of what to do with it... If I decided to use it, I'd put it in a 2007 MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo, 2.16Ghz, not the unibody.) The task to change the drive doesn't bother me all too much, but I still have 7 months of AppleCare left. The other option is to sell it and make a decent profit.

    So what would you do Mac Rumors? Make about $300 or give the MBP a hot upgrade, albeit at some minor risk?
     
  2. Jozone macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2007
    #2
    Sell it; no boot camp support and you can be sure these things are due for some price drops soon enough :cool:
     
  3. nickcliborne macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    Location:
    Nut house
    #3
    You're not going to get the full benefits of the drive because you don't have a SATA2 connection but it will still be fast.

    This is the biggest reason I haven't upgraded to SSD's yet.
     
  4. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #4
    It would boost the performance, but it would also be a waste of the speed; see if you can sell it for a profit and then in a few months when a bigger capacity drive comes out, buy that.
     
  5. bmacir macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    #5
    Sell it and don't look back. ;)
     
  6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

    ViciousShadow21

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    To your left or right
  7. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

    sascha h-k

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2004
    Location:
    vienna / austria
  8. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #8
    I'd keep it, it's the best way to tangibly speed up your computer, bar none.
     
  9. shreddy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    Agreed - putting in that SSD will make it seriously fast. If you're doing stuff on your MBP that is more CPU bound than disk bound then you might not feel the benefit though. I was considering an X25-M but decided 80Gb is too small and the 160Gb too expensive.. just upgraded to a Scorpio Black until prices come down... :(
     
  10. John89 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2008
    Location:
    Scotland
    #10
    Does the Penryn MBP (early '08) have a SATA or SATA2?
     
  11. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #11
    I bought my MBP two days ago, and the reason I chose the $1,999 model was to buy the 160GB SSD on top of it. Otherwise, the $2,500 model is identical -- no one notices the .26Ghz difference.
     
  12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

    ViciousShadow21

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    To your left or right
    #12
    yes but the 2.66 has the ability to put 8GB of RAM in it. not to mention double the cache size and double the VRAM. so it's not just the 266Mhz.
     
  13. ab2650 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #13
    Ergh! I forgot about SATA1 and SATA2. What model did the MBP line go SATA2?
     
  14. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

    ButtUglyJeff

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    Location:
    New York. The state, not the toilet.
  15. tm.chen macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2009
    #15
    I would keep it. You can always hold on to it until Applecare is over, then put it into your MBP. It would speed things up a lot more.
     
  16. ab2650 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #16
    I'm so conflicted. I thought of this, but then why not sell it now, and buy another in 7 months, possibly after some price drops... I think I'm going to take the plunge and put it in my MBP regardless of AppleCare status; I just have to google up how to update the firmware.

    Thanks everyone for your opinion. Wish me luck!
     
  17. bmacir macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    #17
    I wish you luck, but if you need it in seven months I don't think you will match the price you brought it now, so if you think you will buy it in seven months, definitely keep it.

    In my previous post I suggested to sell it because I thought you were not sure weather it was the right purchase for you or not. Your MBP is fast enough now and there is no need to add the SSD, sure it would be slightly faster but I think it would be best to wait a little more than 7 months to have acceptable price, and $350 isn't worth it. It would be wiser to sell it and hold back for an SSD till your next :apple: purchase. ;)
     
  18. John89 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2008
    Location:
    Scotland
    #18
    Tell us how you get on! I have an older MBP too and would like to see how it gets on with an SSD!!
     
  19. nickcliborne macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    Location:
    Nut house
    #19
    I'm not sure if the early 08 has it or not. I know the unibody has SATA2
     
  20. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #20
    Another 256MB of memory for an underclocked mid range card doesn't make much difference either. Cache on the other hand, is a better argument. It's just not a $500 argument, in my opinion. The SSD makes a bigger difference in normal tasks.

    It doesn't matter, even SSD's are nowhere close to the 1.5GB/s that SATA1 provides.
     
  21. ab2650 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #21
    My post was a disorganized mess.. I was saying I had considered selling it, making $300 and using that towards when I felt SSDs had come to an acceptable price. I'm not going to do that now.

    I'll be using the SSD in my 2007 MBP as soon as I get the T6 and T8 tools (Tuesday). I'll report back with info on the upgrade in anyone wants to know, not that it hasn't been done a million times before.
     
  22. ab2650 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #22
    Well the update is done. I've exposed the innards of my MBP, swapped drives, and migrated my data onto the new drive.

    It's pretty snappy, just maybe not quite as fast as I had dreamed (but it's noticeably faster). I'll probably notice it better after I've used it for more than 30 minutes.

    Overall I was impressed with how easy a drive swap was on a C2D MBP, aside from the umteen million screws. Thanks everyone for your input!
     

Share This Page