Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple generally does not mix announcements. If they planned a media event for the iPhone then you'll only see the iPhone. Besides I think we'll see the new laptops being released by apple before seeing an update to the mini.

Just my $.02

Philgr

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
I am really hoping they carry out a couple of updates on the 10th,

im looking for a new iPhone and a new Mini and i want to purchase together

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i have a imac 2009 model and i'am looking in to buying a new mac mini but i am going to hold on and wait for new line to come fingers crossed they put the thunderbolt 2 port in it

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Apple will likely release the new Mac Pro before that.

It's likely that if Apple has an event for the Mac Pro, they will also release (or at least announce) new iMacs and Mac minis.

Mvkoe

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Belgium
I hope not.. Bought myself a new mac mini, i would be very sad if they come with a new one now..

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
They will wait till the MacPro has caught up some serious sale volume, otherwise it will cannibalize its early success.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
They will wait till the MacPro has caught up some serious sale volume, otherwise it will cannibalize its early success.

I can't picture the MacPro getting serious sales volume..it's always been a niche product. And I can't imagine a $ 700 mini having much impact on sales of a $ 2500 MacPro.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Its the iPhone event. So likely we will see the iPhone, iOS7 final release, iPods, and possibly the iPads. Mac events are usually held in October, we will probably see refreshes, final details/release of the Mac Pro, and Mavericks.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I can't picture the MacPro getting serious sales volume..it's always been a niche product. And I can't imagine a $ 700 mini having much impact on sales of a $ 2500 MacPro.

It wasn't a niche product in the beginning. G3 and G4 towers (the Pro predecessor) were very affordable customisable expandable machines, costing roughly the same as today's Mini's (at least comparing the guilder price back then to the euro price now, in Dollars it may be different). With the Mac Pro they went to Himalaya price levels, so more and more around me convert to Mini's for workstation needs. The new Pro might be able to pull some back, unless the new Mini is a 3ghz quad Haswell with Iris 5600 graphics and comes at the same moment.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I hope not.. Bought myself a new mac mini, i would be very sad if they come with a new one now..

Apple will almost certainly update the entire Mac line to the Haswell processors. Only the Air has done so up to now. It probably won't make a massive difference to the Mini processor wise as the focus was on power use (thus helping the laptop battery life), but the new onboard graphics should see a nice boost. The other likely change is 108.11ac wifi.

rnauman821

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2004
Apple will almost certainly update the entire Mac line to the Haswell processors. Only the Air has done so up to now. It probably won't make a massive difference to the Mini processor wise as the focus was on power use (thus helping the laptop battery life), but the new onboard graphics should see a nice boost. The other likely change is 108.11ac wifi.

It should be pretty major for the mini. More efficient means less heat for a given task. Additionally, the graphics boost will be welcomed.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I bought a Mac Mini a few months ago. It's nice and fast, and will still be nice and fast when the new one is released with an incremental upgrade and I'll have been using it the last several months instead of using my old slow machine and waiting.

A year or 18 months from now when they release the next new one that's significantly faster, I'll be sad. Or more than likely I'll just upgrade.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Yes, the graphics card appears to be a significant upgrade. That's the only reason from holding me back from buying a refurbished Mac Mini.

Hopefully they'll keep the price the same for a Haswell Mac Mini, but bump them all up to 8gb RAM.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal

Last Mini came out in October. Silly to buy it now and getting sad a new model might come out. It's been 10 months. It's due.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The average time between new Mini's is 500 days. Were nowhere near that yet. 10 months is just past halfway.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The average time between new Mini's is 500 days. Were nowhere near that yet. 10 months is just past halfway.

The Mac Rumors Buyer's Guide says 381 days is the average, which we are much nearer at 301 days. Plus we are beyond 231 and 238 days, which have been the 2 shortest of the past 5 upgrade cycles.

Haswell is out, and Apple usually upgrades to each processor generation. Not always immediately, but it is coming.

50voltphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011

You are correct, but I could totally see them doing a complete refresh with possibly a new form factor (vertical, like the Mac Pro and AirPort/Time Capsules) and ditching FireWire as well (not saying I want this to happen, at all) and replacing it with a second Thunderbolt port.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I bet your right. A silent update the same day they update the iMacs.

I bet this is going to happen between Oct. 2013 and Mar. 2014 depending on what Apple intends to incorporate ....I mean Haswell processors + HD 5000 graphics plus wi-fi ac can happen fast, TB2 + USB3.1 + individual graphics card option...needs time (2014...)

Also, everything depends on what other competitors intends to manufacture...."made in China".....:apple:

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
The Mac Rumors Buyer's Guide says 381 days is the average, which we are much nearer at 301 days. Plus we are beyond 231 and 238 days, which have been the 2 shortest of the past 5 upgrade cycles.

Haswell is out, and Apple usually upgrades to each processor generation. Not always immediately, but it is coming.

It also means we're almost 3 months away from the average.

I don't think anyone disagrees that it's coming at some point, but people who have been holding off for the "imminent" upgrade have been doing so for a while now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.